Fire works night...Would you go out?

kirstie

Visit site
As above really. I have 2 dogs, one GSD and one JRT.
The GSD is not in the slightest bothered by fireworks at all, he would sit out in the garden and watch if I let him!

The JRT is not happy, she won't settle and barks a lot.
I am taking her to the vets tomorrow to see if they will give me a calmer or mild sedative of some sort and always do the usual curtains drawn, loud TV, dont fuss etc.
It doesn't seem to matter what I do... it is as though she listens out for them anyway! She doesn't seem terrified or get hgerself into a state, just barks and barks at them.

Anyway, with this in mind, would you go out in the evening and leave the nervous dog with calmer, curtains, TV etc?
I am not keen at all, my OH thinks I am being too over protective though.

We have no close neighbours, so the barking won't bother anyone... but so far I am still saying no.

Would you go out and leave your dog?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have also got one who couldnt care less about fireworks/thunderstorms etc and another who gets in a real state. ive got acp from the vet for firework night but i still wouldnt go out....i wouldnt enjoy myself knowing my dog was stressed at home, the acp only takes the edge off her panic so she still pants and paces.......

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I used to have a dog who was petrified of fireworks and I would never go out on November 5th, or days either side of it if I thought there might be fireworks locally. Evie is not bothered by fireworks but it will be Pickles first firework night so someone will be in to make sure he isn't unduly worried.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've just been out and there have been fireworks going off every few seconds (we don't do Nov 5, people do fireworks for Halloween) and pup didn't bat an eyelid. TBH I did it on purpose as he will be doing a gun test during obedience when he is older.
But if your other dog is stressed I would not subject her to it and let her stay in a nice dark den.