firework explosion

TGM

Visit site
I think we heard the explosion over here as well - although we are a long way away from Lewes. We heard what sounded like a rumble of thunder around 3pm. My thoughts go out to the families of the firefighters that were killed, and also to those of the others who were injured
frown.gif

tamsinkb

Visit site
I was out riding on the Downs about 7 miles away - my horse bolted about 30 seconds before the noise reached us - I couldn't work out why until I got back and heard the news - he obviously felt the explosion before we heard it. I feel desperately sorry for all those affected by the accident, especially those who lost loved ones, but also those whose work has been affected. One of my students has just told me her dad worked next door to the factory and his work has been destroyed along with all the families Christmas presents.
frown.gif

happyhack

Visit site
Brings back memories of the Bunsefield Oil depot blast last year (12th dec), at least no-one was injured in that one.

my deepest sympathies go out to those who lost friends and relatives in this blast.

frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
We were driving towards Lewes at about 3pm when we saw loads of blue lights tearing off up towards Ringmer. Later in the evening we kept seeing flashes that we thought were lightning...must have been the fireworks still going off.

What a mess
frown.gif

sally2008

Visit site
The shockwave from the blast blew in my frenchdoors and we're at Rotherfield, a good few miles away from it.

Such sad news about the firefighters killed and injured. Such brave men - it must be terrifying a senario to deal with when you know that the whole place could explode anytime.

samp

Visit site
Heart goes out to the 2 families that lost the brave men, how do you control firework explosions - lethal. I hate fireworks, they shouldbe banned once and for all

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
yep i totally agree they should be banned apart from proper organised events and thats it. the building was concrete with steel doors so who knows what has caused this. I know someone who is a local fireman who knew both the people that died, it is so rare that they die at an incident nowadays.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yep i totally agree they should be banned apart from proper organised events and thats it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't a private supply of fireworks that was being stored in someones garden shed. The company in question are one of the largest importers of fireworks in the country and they were stored in concrete bunkers with reinforced steel doors
crazy.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
My Dad was in the Wok Inn next door at the time of the explosion, he was halfway through his dinner and the windows blew in and the ceiling collapsed. He said that the 3rd explosion was 50,000 tons of gunpowder blowing up.
He only lives a few hundred yards from there and when he got home everything had fallen off the shelves of his house, he was lucky to get home at all as there was a police road block at the end of his road.
Apparently the worst bit was when debris and big bits of metal were raining down on the road.

I was in Uckfield yesterday and didn't hear anything but the YO heard it loudly and thought that a plane had crashed. Yard is probably only 5 miles from there.

Sad to hear about the 2 fire fighters that lost their lives
frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Ermmm...I know it was big....but 50,000 tons
crazy.gif
Any idea how much that really is
tongue.gif
Even 50 tons would be an enormous amount....

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
Oh that is awful and terribly sad
frown.gif
My thoughts go out to all of those that lost family and good friends and I hope the horses are ok. R.I.P
frown.gif
xx

TGM

Visit site
That is terrible Helen - what an awful time that family must be going through now
frown.gif
. Several of my daughter's friends' fathers are retained firemen in East Sussex, when I heard the news of the tragedy I was worried that it may have involved one of them. Whilst I was glad to hear they were safe, I was still terribly sad for the families that were involved.