Fireworks again

sywell

Visit site
A commercial company has an annual professional fireworks display with the biggest of fireworks and they are within 300 yards of my stables. I have had the Local Authority Health and Safety and they say there is nothing they can as the have complied with all the legislation. The mare and foal were very distressed going round and round in the stable as we have video in the stable could we warn the display organisers that we would record the distress. Is there any mileage in the Horse Welfare Legislation where you have told someone not to cause distress to your horses and can they then be prosecuted if it is shown they have caused distress

scarymare

Visit site
Don't think so. If it was 300 yards from my yard though there is no way I'd be stabling, just too risky if there's a stray. Loads of people near me have fireworks and what I find is that the ones who are used to them 'box in' the novices. I do feel for you though. First couple of years were a nightmare.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This is difficult for you a family I our village had fireworks several times a year it was difficult because you did not know when the horses did get good with it .
I would stable I would be there I would find out when they where starting and if they are very distressed last time I consider sedation and ask thevet about it
I would leave all the lights on play loud radios and of course stay until the sedation has worn off if you park vehicles pointing towards the stables with the headlights on its difficult for them to see them and as much loud noise to drown them out as much as possible.
However inconvient it is for you it's not unreasonable to have a party once a year.

sywell

Visit site
This is difficult for you a family I our village had fireworks several times a year it was difficult because you did not know when the horses did get good with it .
I would stable I would be there I would find out when they where starting and if they are very distressed last time I consider sedation and ask thevet about it
I would leave all the lights on play loud radios and of course stay until the sedation has worn off if you park vehicles pointing towards the stables with the headlights on its difficult for them to see them and as much loud noise to drown them out as much as possible.
However inconvient it is for you it's not unreasonable to have a party once a year.

I think these are all good suggestions but with the wet weather the young foals were in but the older horses were out. These big commercial fireworks are very loud I would love to shut the organiser in the stable and advise the wearing of brown trousers.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Whilst I agree its not possible to accustom young foals like older horses, I imagine there is little you can do. Mine used to be stabled near where there was a huge public display on bonfire night, the horses would mainly stay out, the ones left in who couldn't see what the noise was were generally stressed, while the others were ok. Any that stressed out were soon calmed from lack of interest from the others. I realise it must be hard with foals but I don't think yearly fireworks are unreasonable. Could you find an alternative yard or field for the one night?

Suelin

Visit site
My offering is not the same situation as yours as this was not commercial in any way, but one of our neighbours had the biggest bonfire and fireworks display a few years back about 50 yards from my stables. The bonfire was bigger than the bungalow (I kid you not!!) I decided to take my boy off for a sleepover at a friend's yard for the night. He might have been okay but it seemed unfair to ask him to put up with it frankly. Must be so difficult when you have a lot of horses though.

Cocorules

Visit site
My horses used to live opposite a pub which would set off fireworks at random times of the year. The fireworks would land in their field. I always moved them when I knew the fireworks would be going off but did not always know in advance and then they would stand at the far end of the field and I would put hay out. They were mum and daughter and mum was reasonably relaxed considering. Being out when they are that close is safer from a fire risk point of view. Can only suggest you move them when it is on or try one of those fireworks tapes to desensitise them.