Firle IN report

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi all

Well not sure why but entered the IN at Firle
crazy.gif
Saf is only 7 and has no points, oh well got to bite the bullet sometime.

Warmed up well in the double bridle (only 4th time of going in one) and as went over to the ring the flies suddenly got worse and she started to throw her self around opps not enough fly spray (big learning curve)
It was a horrid test 136 and the most complicated we had ever done, scored 49.5 and to be honest that was a very fair mark for a horse who was trying her hardest to explode
shocked.gif
Her travers was the best bit but think that was because she was being naughty and showing off
smirk.gif

Went over to see the SJ being built and boy it looked huge, I stood with another IN rider who asked me about Saf, her opening comments were "so I suppose your horse has a load of points?" I replied "None and it was her first time doing an intermediate test ever and we have never jumped a 1.20m SJ track" she told me I was mad
tongue.gif

Well Saf was a star did not disgrace her self there were only 2 clears and she had 12 faults
grin.gif
at least 4 riders had over 20 faults so was very proud of my girl.

Got ready for the XC and they were saying over the tannoy about these very experienced IN horses and riders (Wow get me trying to fool them
wink.gif
)
Started off well over the first 5 then onto the coffin, jumped the hanging log into the dark and she just planted was no where near the ditch and she did not step back but they gave me a stop
ooo.gif
Popped the ditch and she charged at the log out
smile.gif
Went the long route at the water after our fall at Smiths and the short route at the next combo, also jumped the corner and Saf decided it would be fun to jump the wide part
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
, rest of the course was just so good, very proud of her
grin.gif

Washed her off and a friend took her for a walk, came back past the lorry at speed on the end of the rope, Saf has far too much energy
cool.gif

Anyway very proud of my girl only 18 in the class and we finished 11th
cool.gif
had expected to finish last so it was a real bonus. Bought 2 pics and hopefully dad has some I can post later
Thanks for reading
Clare and Saf
grin.gif

vic07

Visit site
i saw you over the corner looked b****y good. I was watching on the hill after the corner.

sj is always big there. Deceptive course, looks little, causes chaos! The pns used to jump the ditch. - that was hell. remember getting 80 tp trying to get one over it. couldn't get near it!

well done, where you off to next?

tigers_eye

Visit site
Well done!

Re the dressage prob - what calmers have you tried? Also what warm-up techniques? We did loads of experimenting with F as he was very capable but could do appalling tests if he was in the mood (56 at Brockenhurst one year, which included about 40 canter strides down the centre-line!))

Saf

community.webshots.com
Thank you, did I have that catching flies look on my face
wink.gif

SJ ring did not bother me we have been BSJA at county shows thank god.
Not sure where next, lorry failed its plate today but hoping to get a re test by the weekend so maybe late entry Purston if not BCA / Goring / Tweseldown, fingers crossed, were you riding?

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi
Only tried a calmer once at Munstead last year and did nothing, feel wary about them as worried they maybe dopy jumping, would love to hear if you have had experience in how much etc
wink.gif

As for warm up techniques.............do only one canter on each rein
confused.gif
Each time out she seems to be different, put it down to her being a mare
crazy.gif

vic07

Visit site
you looked like you were having a real job setting her up for the drop at bottom of the hill - my mum loved her!

can you warm her up then put her away and get on her just before test and go straight in - works for some as it confuses them.

Have found good calmers make mine so dopey he can't jump. solved problems through flatwork and how i ride him in the test. He picks up tension from me! he did his best ever mark at firle of 30! it all went down hill from there! He is coughing this morning. so really confused what is going on? can't believe he has a bug as he hasn't been anywhere, but firle. horses. hoping off to south of england, but need to check health is good first!

Saf

community.webshots.com
Yeah, brakes an issue, hence why I get loads of time as spend too long setting up, what drop closed my eyes after the corner, get asthma and could not breath for half the course
shocked.gif

Great dressage score can only wish for one that low, hope horsey ok for south of england (forgot about there)
Good luck
grin.gif

vic07

Visit site
he used to blow up very badly! lots of double clears on terrible dressage scores so no rosettes!

Would a roller american gag work? friend's horse does similar to her and that has worked. pelham with a very tight curb has worked for my strong one.

good luck for your next one. hope lorry behaves itself!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well done a good result.

On the subject of calmers I had similiar problems to you and Sarnita always exploded in her tests. I too was worried any calmer would take the edge of her jumping.

I now use Nupafeed which I understand over half the horses at this years Badminton used. It helps them settle without spoiling their jumping. It is expensive to start off with but once into the system cost about £25 a month to maintain. It basically balences the minerals in their system which calms them.

I have used it for 18 months now although in the SPring I did stop it for a while as I felt she had grown up and calmed down a lot. Within 2 weeks I realised just how much it obviously still helped.

You can also get syringes to boost the calmer for competition days. It might be worth a try?

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi

Thank you I will defo take a look at the Nupafeed, need to try something, just find it so hard to ride her when she is like a coiled spring, but have not been brave enough to try anything incase it did something to the jump phase. Thanks for your advice
grin.gif