First affiliated Mediums

star

Visit site
Bit of a milestone for us today. Never ever thought I'd see this day when I got my orange boy 4yrs ago. I bought him as a jumping schoolmaster and his flatwork wasn't the best and it took me a long time to work out how to get the best out of him. He never really came good until he had a load of time off and 3mths of walking in straight lines following a minor tendon injury 2yrs ago. This year he has gone from winning Prelim Regionals in Feb to today doing his first (and my first!) affiliated Mediums.

The weather wasn't exactly on our side. Monty turns daft as a brush in high winds and it was blowing a gale! Fortunately the rain held off till we'd finished or that might have been the nail in the coffin. First test was M61 - he was a bit tense which made it rather hard to sit to his trot (which I don't find the easiest thing to do at the best of times). He had a bit of a meltdown moment after his right canter half pass for some unknown reason, ground to a halt and took a few seconds to get going again. To be honest I didn't think it was that great a test so was pretty gobsmacked to see he got 65% despite a 3 for the meltdown. We were in the Training section but that score would have won us the Restricted section! He even got a 7.5 for his right trot half pass amongst other things! Judge said he was a smart horse with much to offer! I know he can do so much better so was over the moon with that!

Second test was M75, the Championship test - had ummed and aahed about entering it as it's a tough one but I knew we could do everything and I like a challenge :) He managed to spook at something just before I entered at A and went bunny hopping down the centre line sideways, halted and then went into reverse - not quite the first impression I was hoping to make! It got much better though and we managed to do everything where it was meant to be and get a few 7's, again for his trot half pass. My trainer is a List2 judge and she had told me it was worth good marks but I thought she was just being nice - didn't actually think it was that good but watching the videos he is really crossing over well. He scored 62.16% in this test which I thought was ok for a first go at a tough test. Definitely lots more to come from him.

Trainer has said we should aim for Advanced Medium next year as he has pretty much cracked the flying changes now - how exciting is that?! He will never be a world beater as he's a 15.2hh half Welsh, half TB and is not flashy at all but he's normally very obedient and correct and he just tries so hard for me. So lucky to have him!

getting ready:
received_10152433949258199.jpeg

nice square halt to start M61 with:
2014-11-08%2B20.48.10.png

bit of trot work:
2014-11-08%2B20.47.21.png

2014-11-08%2B20.48.53.png

bit of half pass:
2014-11-08%2B20.51.59.png

2014-11-08%2B20.49.53.png

2014-11-08%2B20.53.31.png

medium canter:
2014-11-08%2B20.52.36.png

Not sure if I'm brave enough to post the vids in public as clearly a bit rusty round the edges and we had our iffy moments today!

dianchi

Visit site
Well done!

Only thing I could see was looks like your curb might need tweaking a little tighter- although could just be the images!

star

Visit site
Well done!

Only thing I could see was looks like your curb might need tweaking a little tighter- although could just be the images!

Yes, unfortunately we tried that on Friday night in my lesson and he had a complete freak out so had to have it looser and I know that means my curb has gone a bit horizontal at times. I am getting him a curb guard so hopefully he will be happier with the tighter curb chain then. The double is still fairly new to him and I may well go back to the snaffle next competition as he did drop his poll a bit in the double so we probably need a bit more practice at home in it.

star

Visit site
Brill result! Can't believe he's only 15.2hh, he always looks bigger in the pics

It's amazing how well he takes up my leg as I'm 5ft7 and he's not a wide horse at all. I'm always scrutinising photos to see if I look too big on him but he seems happy and is clearly working well. 15.2hh is such a convenient size too!

dianchi

Visit site
Yes, unfortunately we tried that on Friday night in my lesson and he had a complete freak out so had to have it looser and I know that means my curb has gone a bit horizontal at times. I am getting him a curb guard so hopefully he will be happier with the tighter curb chain then. The double is still fairly new to him and I may well go back to the snaffle next competition as he did drop his poll a bit in the double so we probably need a bit more practice at home in it.

I had this problem with mine, the answer I found was a leather curb- £3 off ebay!

Also have one on my kimberwick now and she is a different horse!

Vetwrap is a quick cheap trial :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yay! Well done, great scores :) I'm looking forward to getting my welsh D project into the white boards, been a while since I had a welshie brain to work with but she's good fun. Don't think she will be reaching your heights though ;)