First competition... what to do?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Oh dear... I know I'm worrying over nothing, but... well... I was looking forward to friday, my first ever competition on Ruby... hopefully... if I can muster the courage to go. I've had her three years nearly, I used to compete every weekend with my previous horse so you can imagine she's knocked my confidence. So anyway was planning to go on friday to a christmas show jumping competition... only just looked properly at the schedule. There's only a 1ft 9, 2ft and 2ft 9 and above normal classes... the others are either pairs or top score. I've got no one to ride with, though pairs would be fun and I've never done top score before. What should I do? I was planning to do the 2ft 6 as if the jumps are to small she just gallops over them, and much bigger and I'd be petrified.

I still want to go but I'm not sure what to do... I had picked out matching tinsel already and everything
laugh.gif

Any suggestions?

EC

samp

Visit site
As you have not been to a show with her before I would stick to the 2'. She will need time to settle down and check out the new surroundings. You also do not want to overface yourself and loose your confidence all over. My horse jumps 3'6" - 3'9" at home and at show recently we just did 2'3" as it was her first show

Vicki1986

Visit site
id do the 2ft 6 only if you are 100% comfortable (i.e. jumping around 3ft at home) as you say if they are smaller she will just gallop round - which you dont want at your first show

GO!! and have lots of fun! take a photo with your groovy tinsel and post it for us to see
laugh.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Aww bless you with your matching tinsel.

I would got for 2ft. If you are a bit nervous the jumps may look a bit bigger than they really are anyway. Its better than going for the bigger ones and loosing more confidence.

But at the end of the day you know your horse best, if you think she will perform better over the bigger than the smaller then go bigger. Why not put up a small course of both sizes at home and see which you both jump better?

And dont forget to post some pics. Good luck
smile.gif

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
The shows at the BEC (Bromyard equestrian centre) They do bsja so I think the courses should be at size... I hope. It's a lovely big indoor arena, thats one of the reasons I'm keen to go there... it's such a lovely venue. If anyone's going and wants to do 2'6 pairs...
smile.gif

I have a problem with her impulsion, she'll go into the fence beautifully balanced and at a good speed, but as soon as you land she's off... the bigger fences she doesn't seem to go as fast afterwards.

I've been thinking about it, and will try jumping both sizes tomorrow. Hired the local school, so we'll have a practice on a surface. But I think I will do the 2ft... well maybe... I don't know... I know she's perfectly capable, it's just me who's scared silly of doing 2'9. The only other option is 2'3 its a top score class... the 2'6 is pairs. What will the distances be like in top score?... I'd be scared I would give her a bad distance and she'd fall over her feet... unlikely I know... I'm just a pesimist ...
confused.gif

Thanks for your help... Wish me luck...

Oh and what should I wear? Other than the tinsel
wink.gif

EC

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
My moms taking me, so hanging around isn't really an option unfortunatly, the 2ft is class 4 and 2'9 is class 7 so we'd have to wait around. I'd like to know what I'm doing so I can practice aswell. I'd love to just go and see but after traveling so far I won't be alowed to stay too long.

Thanks though

EC

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Just thought I'd update...

We did the 2ft and she was so amazing, double clear, too slow for a placing but who cares! She was an angel.

Aiming to go jumping again this friday, this time maybe a little higher. Thanks for your help...

A piccy from the practice ring... (no tinsel.... the tinsel was causing problems
frown.gif
)

DSC01287.jpg

EC