First day hunting!....and some bit advice please!!

Troggy

Visit site
Yesterday I went to my first (And Toffee's) hunt meet with The Oakley. Firstly I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone there, everyone was helpful, friendly and really nice to me. I saw a few people I knew but even complete strangers talked to me and helped me and answered my silly questions!
blush.gif

I had a brilliant day, had 1 refusal at a fence but I think that was due to the very boggy take off (wimpy pony!) as she jumped everything else I attempted including a ditch, which is what we got eliminated at doing XC!
crazy.gif

My only problem was my brakes! The first hour and a half they were poor, I mean she did stop eventually but I had to really haul/saw at her mouth which I don't like doing. She was ok after that although still full of running! Which bit do people find usefully? She has a full cheek waterford at the moment which is usually all she needs but I think the excitement got to her. She also has a running martingale. Any ideas?
Anyway, just thought I would share my news, I will definitely go again!
grin.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Glad you had a great day! Was her head going up or down?

Hopw about a waterford gag? seeing as she is happy in the mouthpiece already?

Troggy

Visit site
Hard to explain, just not really listening like she usually does! She was't full on bolting (which she has been known for!!) just not pulling up when/or as quickly as I would like!Once she settled she was fine but I would like that control the whole time. Probably try the waterford hanging cheek?