First Dressage comp tips?

Bright_Spark

Visit site
So, I've been persuaded to enter Matti into Prelim 13 on 5th April and as it's been about 8 years since I last competed, I have no idea what I am meant to be doing :eek:

I have a black tweed jacket, beige jods and black jod boots with gaiters. Is this suitable? Do I need a stock or is a tie acceptable?

Matti has black tack- flash bridle and wintec saddle, and a NS team up bit (actually I think its a cheap version). Is that ok?

Any help/ tips would be much appreciated :)

I have chocolate chip digestive biscuits on offer!

kc100

Visit site
Most dressage comps run by BD rules, so here are their sections on tack and clothes for you:

45. Dress
Introductory to Advanced Medium Tests (including FEI Junior tests) – Uniform, short jacket or tweed coat with correctly tied stock, white American Collar or shirt and tie, and protective hat.

46. Coats/jackets
Tail coats and short jackets may be any conservative, dark colour, for example navy, bottle green or charcoal grey etc.. and may not be multi‐coloured or boldly striped. Subtle pinstripes are permitted as are coloured collars and contrast piping to collar, lapels, pockets and vents. Unless entitled to wear them coloured collars registered with the FEI for use by National teams may not be used i.e. the red collar used by the British
team.Tweed jackets should not be brightly coloured or have loud patterns.

48. Hats
Hats and hat covers must be predominately black or navy blue or of a conservative dark colour that matches the rider’s jacket.

49. Breeches/Jodhpurs
Must be plain white, cream or beige except when worn with official uniform when they may be of the uniform colour.

50. Gloves
Must be worn. White, beige or cream gloves are strongly preferred.

51. Boots
Must be black or brown or same colour as the coat and may be long boots or Jodhpur boots. Gaiters may be worn providing they are of identical leather to the boots. Multi coloured or patterned boots are not permitted except for traditional/patent top boots.

55. Saddles
Saddles must be worn and be of English or Continental style and must be brown, black, grey or navy. Side saddles and treeless saddles are permitted but riders choosing to ride side saddle must notify the organiser before the start of the class.

56. Saddle cloths
For National competitions saddle cloths may be white/cream or of a dark conservative colour.

58. Bridles
All bridles must be used in the conventionally accepted manner. The loop of the reins must be above the horses neck. Permitted bridles at each level are as follows;
Preliminary and Novice standard Ordinary snaffle
Elementary – Advanced standards Ordinary snaffle or Double bridle
PSG‐GP tests that are ridden under National Ordinary snaffle or rules (unless double bridle requested by Double bridle selectors)
International PSG – GP tests ridden under Double bridle FEI rules

Bitless bridles and Hackamores are not permitted.
Bridles must be predominantly black, brown, grey or navy and may not be decorated with tassels or any additions to the normal configuration. Discreet padding of the bridle at the poll or noseband is permitted. Padding of the cheek pieces is not allowed and will result in elimination.
The Micklem multibridle is permitted as a snaffle bridle and must be used with a permitted bit and without bit clips. The ‘ST Zaum Poll Relief’ bridle is also permitted.

59. Nosebands
It is obligatory to use a noseband. Either a drop, flash or cavesson noseband must be used with a snaffle bridle. A cavesson noseband only must be used with a double bridle. Drop nosebands and flash straps must lie in the chin groove. Grackle nosebands are only permitted for Eventing competitions. Nosebands must not cause discomfort.

60. Bitguards
Bitguards are not allowed.

61. Other tack
Martingales and bearing, side or running reins of any kind are forbidden. Reins with elasticated inserts are not permitted, neither are bandages, boots and any sort of blinkers. Tongue straps are not permitted.

68. Bits – Snaffles
Unless bits follow the configuration of those illustrated below (based on FEI Rules) they are not permitted. Where there is any doubt, guidance should be sought from the Sports Operations Manager of British Dressage, in writing with a diagram or photograph.
1. Loose ring snaffle
2. a,b,c, Snaffle with jointed mouthpiece where middle piece should be rounded.
3. Egg‐butt snaffle.
4. Racing snaffle D‐ring.
5. Egg‐butt snaffle with cheeks.
6. Loose ring snaffle with cheeks (Fulmer).
7. Snaffle with upper cheeks only.
8. Hanging cheek snaffle.
9. Straight bar snaffle. Permitted also with mullen mouth and with egg butt rings.
10. Snaffle with rotating mouthpiece.
11. Snaffle with rotating middle piece.
12. Rotary bit with rotating middle piece.

Bits of rubber, nylon or other synthetic materials are permitted. Bits must be used in their manufactured condition without any addition to/on any part. Only the bits that are illustrated are permitted, mouthpieces may be used with any of the cheeks or rings illustrated. A mix of metals in the mouthpiece are permitted. A plastic snaffle with a cylindrical rotating mouthpiece is permitted. Minimum diameter of the mouthpiece should be 10mm. Snaffles used in Young Horse classes must have a minimum diameter of 14mm.

Hope that covers everything for you!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thank you kc100, that's fab.

Sounds like we're good to go, other than I need to remove his bit guards, which is fine as I've been meaning to do that for ages!

I might need a new hat as not sure if mine is suitable, but I can always get a velvet one for 'best' anyway as planning on doing a few comps this year.

lottiepony

Visit site
kc100 great reply and really interesting to read too as not being much of a dressage competitor I have a rough idea but that really is the definitive answer :)

kc100

Visit site
As long as you have a dark coloured hat I'm sure you will be fine, unless it is a skull hat in which case all you need to do is buy a velvet hat cover.

Good luck with your competition, let us know how you get on :)