First dressage test...!

Dumbo

Visit site
Entered first dressage competition with my giraffe pony.
He's going pretty well at the moment so my boss has persuaded me to enter.
It's just over a month away and already I'm so nervous!!

Does anyone have any tips... Especially for Intro A?

Just got to buy some new boots, white jods, a shirt and a stock!

Kikke

Visit site
I know how you feel, doing my first dressage on my hubbies horse. Have done plently of dressage in the past but my hubbies horse is a completly different horse. A 17.1 belgian draft. Mine is a 14.1 welsh cob :D

I am just going to say, it's the first time so I am going for a smooth test and try for accuracy.
Oh and smiling....... if I remember

Chirmapops

Visit site
Practice being able to flex slightly left and right on the long side for a stride or two so you can prepare for the half circles. Not swinging on your horse's head, just a slight positioning left before the left half circle and then right before the right half circle. That's the hardest move in the test, if you can crack that you'll be fine! Enjoy!

kc100

Visit site
As someone else has said....remember to breathe, try and enjoy it!

A good start to the test always goes down well with the judges so make sure your centre line is straight - that means prepare early enough for your turn down the CL (I see so many people leaving this too late and overshooting the line) and keep straight all the way down to the bottom, no wobbling!

Accuracy is important for the Intro tests, your circles must be 20m (not 18m or 22m!) - there is not a lot for the judge to watch at Intro so they nit pick on little things like this (no fancy movements to distract them!). Make sure your test is forwards, there is nothing worse than a lazy test and the judge wont be too kind if there is no activity or sense or forwardness in your test.

Are they running Intro B on the same day? Reason I ask is because when I did my first ever dressage outing a few years ago I thought it would be best just to do 1 test as I was so nervous I didnt want to have to try and learn 2 (although I did have a reader!). However giant horse, because it was his first time out in years, decided to go around like a giraffe as everything was so new and exciting and we got a rather embarrassing score in the low 50's. 2nd time out I did 2 tests, 1st test still a big giraffe like but 2nd test he really settled and worked much better getting us over the 65% mark.

So I really would advise doing 2 tests if I were you, I know its daunting but you can almost write your first one off as a warm up and then the 2nd should theoretically be a lot better!

To sum it up:
- be precise in your movements and as accurate as you can
- be straight on both your CL's
- make sure your halt is square (a good straight CL and square halt at the end should score you an easy 8)
- make sure the test is forwards and active
- breathe
- have a reader if you feel nervous but make sure you know the test/s (readers can go wrong or be a little late, you need to know where you are going regardless - they are there to remind you if you have a total mind block)
- keep the outline as round and soft as you can, no jabbing with your hands to force an outline however (judges hate fussy hands)
- make sure the free walk is marching, dont use this as a time to have a quick rest; horse should be overtracking, the neck stretching down seeking the bit despite you having loosened your reins

Most of all - enjoy it! We do this for fun and its important to remember that. It is fantastic you are having a try, so many people would never dare even go out and try it so a big pat on the back just for going out and doing it.

Good luck!

Dumbo

Visit site
Thank you for the replies, particularly your advice kc100. Just going to work on my straight lines and circles up to the test then hope and pray it goes well.
My boss is very into her dressage and wins most outings! So if I can get a decent score I'll be happy!