First ever Scope report

Quadro

Visit site
Not sure if any of you will remember me, but I have a different string of horses now!
Had 3 qualified for Scope, but saw the prices and just took the one that had qualified for classes.
Had never been to Scope before, and had not heard good things, first time at Southview for Scope and us.
We left Scotland with plenty of time, and made it to the Lake district before the lorry started overheating. Called the breakdown, who put radweld in as a temporary fix. Sadly it didn't work, and over heated again. Cooled it down and let the steam out, waited and on we went. Happened again and had boiling water all over the cab instead of steam, luckily the dog and I had got out. Eventually got there at 11pm after a 9 hour journey, the staff were lovely, and Fifi seemed happy enough.
Horse I had taken is a little 16hh 5 year old, who arrived with me as a totally wild 3 year old, not ever having a headcollar on. She is currently jumping 1.05s, and we had qualified for the 85 and 95 so she would manage it fine.
Day 1,
The 95cm was an open class, with 82 in it. No point restrictions so plenty of old grade As etc. Was on about 11am so no rush after our less than ideal journey. There are 2 qualifiers for the final that takes place at Scope if that makes sense, and all horses had qualified to be there. Top 15 from Day 1, and top 15 from day 2 go through to the final, and the rest could do a consolation final if they wish. It was in the championship arena, which was a big lovely outdoor, over a 2 phase track. I knew that for 15 out of 82 it would need to be a fast double clear!! We were drawn 26th to go. Fifi was very tense in the warm up, but jumped a super double clear to finish 33rd. Was happy with that!

Day 2.
Had another 95 qualifier today in the outdoor, an again 82 in the class and the top 15 to qualify minus those already qualified. Again was a 2 phase. Jumped another DC to finish 31st. Sadly not enough for the final, and decided to wait too see how the 85 went before deciding on the consolation.
The 85 was limited to horses with less than 200 points so felt we had a better chance. 54 in the class this time and again top 15 to qualify for the final. Sadly had a fence down, but had already jumped DC earlier in the day.

Day 3.
Our last chance to get in a final today with a 2nd go at the 85, again with top 15 qualifying. Felt it was a very sticky round and she felt rather tired, but jumped another DC to finish 11th. Prize money to 10th typically, but qualified for our final and got a lovely finalist rosette.

Day 4.
Day off for us, which I think was good for Fifi, and we left the show ground for an exciting Asda trip! We watched some pony jumping and couldn't decide if we were more mortified at the children, or their parents behaviour!!

Day 5.
85 final day (decided not to jump the 95 consolation if she jumped well in the final). Was A10, and people were complaining it was too big, but I though it was ok? Was 30 I it, the top 15 from both the qualifiers. 16 jumped clear to go through to the jump off including us! I thought that a double clear would get you a place, as they were up to 8th. We again went clear and finished 8th!! So happy for my little horse, who is completely home produced, alongside a full time job, and no arena!!

Lorry got towed home, and Fifi got a transporter. We all made it home, but the lock on our door had jammed, and we had to kick it in! Lorry now getting fixed, but we are buying a new one (hgv) for more adventures

silv

Visit site
That all sounds very stressful with your lorry trouble! At least your horse went well so all the trouble was worth it!
Good luck with your new lorry.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting to read a sj report as there don’t seem to be that many of those. Lorry trouble sounds a pain but glad you managed to get there and back. Hope the new lorry arrives soon!

Quadro

Visit site
Bad news is that a new radiator is £1200 for the part alone. Good news is hopefully have a new HGV :)
I enjoyed the show, having only heard bad things. Was well run and organised, just lot of feral children flying around on scooters etc, spooking the horses and dogs off leads attacking mine! Not the shows fault, and I did see sccoters and motorised bikes confiscated for bad behaviour.
Some pony riding was truly shocking, ponies hit for poles that were the riders fault etc, but the parents were worse! Had to have the dog with us for protection!!

vam

Visit site
Well done, I've not heard great things about Scope so not one I've worried about going to but glad it was good for you. Nice to see a showjumping report as well, there isn't many of us!

Completely understand how stressful having lorry trouble can be on the way to an a stay over show or any show really but good news on the new lorry.