First Ever Unaffiliated ODE Infro please

Nailed

Visit site
I have just entered myself for my first ever ODE. I was wondering if people could tell me what to expect, what to wear, the order of the day and anything else I will need to know.. I am a complete novice at eventing so all information is greatly received. I am SO excited! lol

Lou x

wench

Visit site
Dressage and SJ - what you would normally wear - smart jacket/shirt and tie or stock. Check what rules DR is been run under see what colour gloves you need.

XC - your colours and a BP.

If you are going on your own, organise everything between each phase - no faffing around after each disciplin then.

Clarew22

Visit site
Don't forget your medical arm band (I always manage to :rolleyes:)

You might need your own bib or a deposit for one.

I always find writing a list of everything I need to take with me is handy as there is sooo much stuff to remember on the day!

Enjoy :D

SnowGoose

Visit site
one day events usually run dressage then showjumping then cross country. some (though very few) will run the showjumping after XC so check if it says this on your schedule.

when you arrive make sure you go to the secretaries tent and collect your number. (you may need your own number bib so check schedule or phone before you go) take your hat with you if its not already tagged, they will want to check it meets safety standards and take your horses passport as they may also want to check vaccinations

dressage - the test number should be on the schedule, if its a BE one this is available on the downloads page of the BE website, think PC ones are online too. would recommend you find the test early, see what movements are required and that you can do them all! attire is usually tweed hacking jacket with either tie or stock, beige jodhs and long boots. you will see people in navy/black show jackets and white jodhs which while not technically correct should be ok for unaff if thats all youve got. horse in dressgae or jump/GP saddle, plain saddlecloth (usually white) snaffle bit, no boots or martingale. you will recieve your dressage time in advance so make sure you allow adequate time to warm up but remember you have 2 more phases to go so dont overdo it, especially if its warm weather. NO WHIP ALLOWED IN TESTS, (unlike BD) spurs are fine.

showjumping - one round of fences (no jump off) usually with a double at the height stated in the schedule. course walking can generally be done before the class starts and if lots of competitors may have course walking breaks. again you will be given a time, so work out how long you need to warm up. some events you arrive at around the time stated and put your number on the board, others run to the time you have been given so check when you arrive which system theyre running. attire as for dressage but horse can wear boots, breastplate/martingale and most bits - check BE rule book if using non-snaffle

XC - course is usually open for walking from around 2pm day before event but check schedule. if you need to walk on the day of the comp make sure you leave enough time for this (i usually allow 1-1.5hours depending on the course) you will be given a start time but board system may be in operation like SJ so check. when it is your time you will be called to the start box 1-2mins before and can walk or trot round in that area. you will usually be told when you have 30 secs to go and counted down. if your horse is quite quiet you can stand in start box to wait for go, otherwise circle until 5-10secs left then go in. you will be counted down from 5 - dont cross start line til starter says go. attire, cross country colours, approved standard bodyprotector and hat (can use coloured silk) - standards stated on schedule- medical armband may be necessary, see schedule. horse - boots, jump saddle, breastplate/martingale if used, suitable bit.

have probably forgotten loads but sure others will fill in. most importantly have a great day, its loads of fun, just make sure youre well prepared and have plently hay for standing around between phases, water for horse and washing down and food and water for you. Enjoy :D

Morganlafaye

Visit site
I have just entered myself for my first ever ODE. I was wondering if people could tell me what to expect, what to wear, the order of the day and anything else I will need to know.. I am a complete novice at eventing so all information is greatly received. I am SO excited! lol

Lou x

What sort of event is it? Pony club? Riding club? There's a really useful guide on the BE website called "How to start Eventing". Worth a look whether the event is a BE event or not as it is full of guidance for the rookie eventer. You can find it here.

http://www.britisheventing.com/documents.asp?section=145&sectionTitle=Download+Area

Are you able to pop along to another local event beforehand just to watch? I learnt so much by grooming for friends at events, but just watching can also really help.

Order of the day, assuming it's a one day event, is dressage first, then show jumping, then XC. Remember to check your times for each phase, arrive in plenty of time, and write lists beforehand of everything you'll need to take to the event, so you don't forget anything.

Dressage and SJ you can wear your normal show jacket, XC you'll need a body protector and a medical armband, which can often be bought on the day, but best to get one in advance in case they run out. You can buy one via BE or your riding club/pony club. If it's BE, and for some unaffiliated events, you'll also need to buy a number bib. Some unaffiliated events hand you a number bib on the day, subject to payment of a deposit. Best check in advance.

Read the schedule of the event you're going to - it'll normally have information on situation with number bibs, and what you and your horse can and can't wear. Normally it's snaffle bit, plaits and no martingales or boots for the horse in the dressage phase, but after that, I think pretty much anything goes.

Best of luck, and have fun!!

Last edited:

Nailed

Visit site
Its just an unaffiliated one day effect its not in correspondance with any club.

Thanks guys I have more of an idea now!

So excited! lol

Lou x