First FEI 3-day survival tips?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Last night we did our final piece of fast work, so it is all systems go for getting on the road to Houghton Hall tomorrow for our first 2*-long event.

Aside from a long format 3DE I did at the Riding Club championships about 15 years ago, I haven't done a three day. Any top tips? Things that I might have forgotten?

We've done a few 2*-S now, and used to stabling on site and keeping his number on him
I've completed all the FEI horse-app temperature requirements
We'll bring bikes to get around the site

.... what do I need to know, and what might I have forgotten?!

Just to add to the chaos I'm also bringing the 5yo on the journey so that he can jump in a few BS classes throughout the show!

quizzie

Visit site
More changes of clothes than you could ever think you will need in case it rains ( Houghton has form for this)....including dry socks...wet feet are miserable!
Something to cover bars of front of stable in case you are facing prevailing wind/rain ( Can you tell it was wet when I did Houghton?!!)
Smart(ish) outfit for trot ups
Spare phone batteries ( signal used to be awful there)
A wheelbarrow to get gear from lorry to stables..it can be a long walk.

...don't forget passport

...And have fun....its a great venue, but not close to shops/pubs etc!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
More changes of clothes than you could ever think you will need in case it rains ( Houghton has form for this)....including dry socks...wet feet are miserable!
Something to cover bars of front of stable in case you are facing prevailing wind/rain ( Can you tell it was wet when I did Houghton?!!)
Smart(ish) outfit for trot ups
Spare phone batteries ( signal used to be awful there)
A wheelbarrow to get gear from lorry to stables..it can be a long walk.

...don't forget passport

...And have fun....its a great venue, but not close to shops/pubs etc!

Fingers crossed the weather forecast is fairly dry and not too warm. Although I will make sure I have more socks than days we are there!
Fortunately we're on plug-in, so keeping phones going should be good. Rather sad, but hope it is terrible reception so that I am in no way tempted to check work emails!!
Wheelbarrow and mucking out kit sorted.

Have packed a bunch of meal kits which I can make on the lorry so no worries if there's not enough late night catering. Made that mistake at Belsay last year when the promised pizza van didn't turn up and had to survive entirely off Tunnocks teacakes for dinner!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
@RachelFerd don't know if this is relevant to you

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd clocked this - I hadn't got around to learning the A test, and already have the B test in my head from Chatsworth the other week - so good news for me!!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Phone signal is terrible at Houghton! Drove me up the wall! Trot up is miles away, so make sure your smart outfit is comfortable for walking in.
Good luck!

Birker2020

Visit site
Not a clue at that level but just like to say I used to do the Milton Keynes 3 day event at grassroots level and it was amazing having the 'feel' of what a three day event format felt like but without the pressure of jumping bigger fences. It was a really good idea and shame that it all folded as it provided many 3 day event wannabes with a taste of really good 3 day competition over the old format.

I used to be so organised and had a tent for my partner and me, one for getting changed/hanging clothes in and a third tent for my friend to stop in. I used to love the trot up and I was terrified of the steeplechase as I'm not keen on fast!

Best of luck and have a really great time.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am ashamed to admit that for my first three day, I forgot the tack cleaning stuff. Just didn't enter my head, as I don't usually pack tack stuff for an event.

Pack paracetamol, sun cream, socks, many gloves, electrolyte tabs for yourself too. Wine, gin, tonic too.

pistolpete

Visit site
No experience either just hope you enjoy it and have fun. Don’t forget extra carrots for both horses! Hope the five year old behaves!

daffy44

Visit site
More of everything than you think you will need, both for horses and humans! Emergency chocolate, painkillers, tack cleaning, grooming kits, extra numbers so you are not having to change from bridle to headcollar, extra saddle cloths, tack spares, I always take a little power bank thing to plug my phone etc in as its easy to bring with you on the move if necessary.

Most importantly, dont be too busy to enjoy it! Its a great achievement, take it in and appreciate it, well done.

EventingMum

Visit site
Keep your eye on notices for the riders meetings etc. Usually at CCIs have a stable management team who are good at answering queries. There are set times for sj practice on the dressage days as an official needs to be present. Often hacking is only on set routes depending on the venue. If you intend to buy any fodder, feeding or extra bedding check what will be available on site. Make sure you know your times and trot up times and be ready in plenty of time for them. Have fun!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Flip flops for in the showers! They were grotty last time I went to houghton (but it was very wet that year). Also loads of shampoo, as the soil is where the stables are on was quite sandy and every morning our horse would be filthy ?

also alllll the snacks, and best of luck!

rara007

Visit site
Take more bridle numbers than you can imagine you’ll ever need. And atleast 2 thermometers. And make sure you know how to change it from Fahrenheit…..! Do get someone else on your HorseApps as it’s a little glitchy especially when poor signal. Read the schedule small print for any additional vaccine requirements! Depending on your horses manners whatever you may need to facilitate waiting to check into the stables…!

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
Take Everything anything you think you might need, plus spares!
Passports in order
Watch out for rider briefings, they often tell you heaps of important information.
Take note of all the arena familiarisation times and get in as much as possible.
Good luck and enjoy

j1ffy

Visit site
That’s great- well done!! Bet you’re exhausted and ecstatic. Can’t wait for the full report.

Lyle

Visit site
Eagerly awaiting the full report ? the video is smashing, you must be over the moon! It's always a good weekend if you bring home a few ripper pro photos ?

tatty_v

Visit site
Fantastic! I will never do this in a million years (!) but really enjoyed watching your video and looking forward to hearing all about it. Well done!