First foal - taking its time

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi I am currently waiting for a mare to have her first foal she is 2 and 1/2 weeks over due now. How long do you leave it before you start getting worried?

hayinamanger

Visit site
Foaling is a worrying time, particularly when it's your first, but be patient, the foal will come when he's ready. The vast majority of mares foal safely. A mare cannot be induced as the birth would be so fast it would damage them both, so keep watching and good luck.

pintoarabian

Visit site
My foal this year arrived at 370 days. In the end, it was all very quick, done and dusted in 15 minutes as out popped a beautiful, bouncing, filly. What a wait, not to mention all those sleepless nights! Your foal will arrive when it is ready.

tynedale

Visit site
Loads more sleepless nights to come then!
Hope your mare foals soon for you.
Healthy mare and foal, that's the important bit.

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi guys thanks for the response looks like i'm in for some more sleepless nights!! Sleep deprivation is not much fun.

This is second foal we had another one last year which conveniently arrived dead on her due date.

Magicmadge

Visit site
My maiden mare went 359 days but didn't bag up fully until 2 days before that. She was then text book, bagged, waxed, dripped for half a day, paced the field, walked her box, sweated and foaled. I'd been on foal watch for a full 3 months as i had also bought a pony in foal, with no due date. I had my vet look at her in March and she said about six weeks to go. So i started watching her early April and she foaled May 4th then it was straight on foal watch with the second one and she finally foaled at the end of June!!!!! Very much worth the sleepless nights to be there for the births, so hang in there!!