First fun ride - Bit advice!

WillowTree21

Visit site
Hi All,

I’m taking my TB on a fun ride end of the month, he’s quite responsive on the bit but typically ex racer doesn’t like being over taken etc.

He’s currently in a sweet iron, loose ring lozenger.

I’m thinking of maybe trying a stronger bit for situations like this, but don’t want anything hard as he is soft mouthed.

Any recommendations for a bit that is a bit stronger than a snaffle but still kind?

TIA

WillowTree21

Visit site
He’s currently in a Micklem bridle, he had a few issues when I first got him so everything has been gently gently.

I don’t think I need anything major, but maybe just something slightly stronger than the loose ring he’s in.

I did wonder about a Waterford so will have another look!

Thanks

WillowTree21

Visit site
Try and go towards the end of day. Less folk riding usually. And go with a nanny horse if you can. Long distance rides can blow some horses brains

We’re aiming to go at the last time slot so hopefully won’t be loads of other horses about.

We’ve done quite a few long distance hacks & hopfully we won’t be over run with other horses!

Thanks

Follysmum

Visit site
I always used to put on a green and red ribbon on my excitable older horse at fun rides. It definitely helps as people are less likely to get too close to you. Also either go out first or last

Peglo

Visit site
Hi
My old TB ex racer took off with me and I couldn’t get her stopped so knew I needed something more but didn’t want a harsh bit. I put her in a martingale (you maybe already ride in one so might not be helpful) and she never got away from me again. When she was going really well I tried taking it off and she realised her freedom and bronked until I lost both stirrups and was one more buck away from coming off.…. We wore the martingale until she was retired ?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Hi
My old TB ex racer took off with me and I couldn’t get her stopped so knew I needed something more but didn’t want a harsh bit. I put her in a martingale (you maybe already ride in one so might not be helpful) and she never got away from me again. When she was going really well I tried taking it off and she realised her freedom and bronked until I lost both stirrups and was one more buck away from coming off.…. We wore the martingale until she was retired ?
This is a good shout, actually. I have a running martingale and breast plate that I only use on fun rides. It does make a difference, as it stops him throwing his head up. I don't really need the breastplate bit, but it came with it (secondhand) and it would form a nice grabby bit if I ever had the balls to jump at these mad events... :-D

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi All,

I’m taking my TB on a fun ride end of the month, he’s quite responsive on the bit but typically ex racer doesn’t like being over taken etc.

He’s currently in a sweet iron, loose ring lozenger.

I’m thinking of maybe trying a stronger bit for situations like this, but don’t want anything hard as he is soft mouthed.

Any recommendations for a bit that is a bit stronger than a snaffle but still kind?

TIA
Hanging cheek snaffle so you have a little poll pressure.

WillowTree21

Visit site
I have a breast plate & martingale that I don’t ride in but I will pop on!

I also have a little strap from each d ring haha so plenty to those in to! I’ll wear my body protector as well but I’m actually really looking forward to it!

Thanks all

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Don’t be afraid of popping a harsher bit in. I used to be of the softly softly school of thought and still am for schooling etc. But I didn’t bother changing my bit for a fun ride and I had to nag constantly to keep her in walk to stick with our friend. She had a dentist appointment soon after and had a lot of bruising on her bars and I am not a heavy handed rider! I felt awful.

I would much rather ask once with a “harsher” bit than nag constantly with a softer one.

Annagain

Visit site
Hanging cheek snaffle so you have a little poll pressure.
The latest research show that hanging cheeks actually relieve poll pressure. To achieve poll pressure you need a lever effect - so something above and below the bit ring and a loose ring so the levers make it move.

I'd go for a three ring gag (same mouthpiece as you normally have) with two reins and only use the bottom rein if you need it - on the top ring it will have a similar action to the loose ring but you'll also have an emergency brake if you need it.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I'm not a fan of bitting up in anticipation of a problem. So you stick him in a gag, with 8 reins and a noseband with a blindfold... if he plays up, how will you know it was the circumstance and not the extra kit upsetting him?

At a push I might try to find the same mouthpiece in a pelham or gag, which you could ride in on the bit ring (ie. same snaffle as you currently have) with a second rein tied in a knot on the neck 'just in case'.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The latest research show that hanging cheeks actually relieve poll pressure. To achieve poll pressure you need a lever effect - so something above and below the bit ring and a loose ring so the levers make it move.

I'd go for a three ring gag (same mouthpiece as you normally have) with two reins and only use the bottom rein if you need it - on the top ring it will have a similar action to the loose ring but you'll also have an emergency brake if you need it.
^^^^SNAP^^^

Casey76

Visit site
Waterfords are extremely punitive. They aren’t the ‘nice’ bit people try to make out. Horses don’t lean on them because they hurt. And if you direct rein in them, well, that just exacerbates the punitive action.