First horse fly bite of the season...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Am I the first this year to be bitten by a horse fly?

Out riding yesterday and felt it just too late. Now have huge pulsating monster on my leg, with its own pulse.

Looking forward to a very itchy few days now!

Anyone else?

scats

Visit site
Ive not seen any yet. I hate the things. Although I did get bitten/stung by an ant when I was ragworting the other day. Ouch! Couldn’t believe how painful that was for such a small creature.

Bernster

Visit site
I found the Tri Tec works well although recently read the label and some threads on here and realised that it’s pretty powerful stuff. Will anti histamines help? Or are you waiting until it becomes self aware and then stages a rebellion and buggers off 😆

Archangel

Visit site
Horse fly already?

tenor.gif

Red-1

Visit site
I actually took a video yesterday of the pulse raging through the beast on my leg. It really does look like an entity of its own. It goes red/white/red/white in a heartbeat rhythm.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Oh no, noooooooooooooo!!! I remember last year the first ones were out round here on 1st June so I'm bracing myself for the onslaught. I also get bitten very badly.

Crikey Red-1, I would love to see that video.

Carrottom

Visit site
Last year someone on hear suggested Calendula Cream which I found to be effective. I have been expecting to see/kill the first one any day.

Red-1

Visit site
Oh no, noooooooooooooo!!! I remember last year the first ones were out round here on 1st June so I'm bracing myself for the onslaught. I also get bitten very badly.

Crikey Red-1, I would love to see that video.

Can we see the video?

I originally put it on FB but Mr Red-1 made me take it off again, I can't imagine he would be happy if I put it on an open forum o_O

I filmed it because no one believed me that every time I get a bite it gets a pulse of its own, that you can actually see.

Today I went to the saddlers and bought more Tri Tec, some glue to trap flies on an old bucket and a red top fly catcher. £80 :oops:

We do live in fly country though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If its only a leg it can't be that revealing!
You’d think, however I put a photo of my thigh, it showed nothing but a close up of a massive bruise and some of my friends were horrified 😂 I mean only because I’m quite self conscious but literally it showed nothing in my mind

Coblover63

Visit site
Try zapping your leg with the hairdryer. I am hugely allergic to horse fly bites.... they make every summer a misery for me (and I've tried everything, believe me!) ... but a couple of years ago I read about blasting them with hot air and it works surprisingly well. The hot air breaks down the itchy toxins and inflammation. Be careful not to burn yourself but I find I can tolerate about half a dozen consecutive but intermittent blasts every few hours.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Killed my first one today. Bay TB v2.0 was being restless while I was mucking out and when i went to see what the fuss was about, it was sitting on his chest bold as anything.

Db312

New User
Visit site
Try zapping your leg with the hairdryer. I am hugely allergic to horse fly bites.... they make every summer a misery for me (and I've tried everything, believe me!) ... but a couple of years ago I read about blasting them with hot air and it works surprisingly well. The hot air breaks down the itchy toxins and inflammation. Be careful not to burn yourself but I find I can tolerate about half a dozen consecutive but intermittent blasts every few hours.

Using the back of a teaspoon held in hot water then onto the bite can work in a similar way, but you have to be careful not to burn yourself.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Not seen one yet and the black fly hasn't really appeared yet either. This bit of rain will explode the flies I would think.

AFB

Visit site
I haven't seen a single one yet but I have an enormous horse-fly-esque bite on my thigh...