First hunter trials?

ridersince2002

Visit site
I might be doing a hunter trials on 7th Nov at Pachesham (surrey), would be our first xc. Proably just 50cms class to start with as i seem to lack a little confidence over fixed fences :S
Just wondering if anyone has been there? What are the jumps like? How scary are they? Anyone have any pictures?

Pony is 12.2hh and very strong :) im 14, shes 16, its not her first xc, she used to do alot and also hunt before i started riding her :) but if im scared she will be too so if the jumps there are scary i might wait till next year and go somewhere else.
Basically is it a good first xc?
Xc colours or tweed?
And does anyone know if there might be any bit rules for this? Thats probably a silly question but ive never done any xc at all and its better to know in advance than be told i cant do it on the day!
And another question: if we got enough refusals to be eliminated would they let us finish the course or would we have to come off it?

So many questions, sorry!
And thank you if you answer any of them! :p

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hi,

I can't help you with any tips about that particular course, but generally 50cms should be fine for you.

Hunter trials used to be ridden in tweed, but nowadays everyone rides in xc colours. You will more than likely have to have a hat with a flexible peak (ie, not the velvet SJ ones) that you put a hat cover on, and you will have to wear a back protector. Most run with an optimum time system, where you get faults for going too fast or slow. Others have a partially timed course.

Most hunter trails don't have bit restrictions. It should say on the entry form if there are.

You've got nearly a month, so see if you can do a farm ride or xc lesson somewhere in the meantime. Practice going through water (streams out hacking) and up and down hills etc.

Remember its for fun, and enjoy yourself. If its too scarey, pull out. You used to always be allowed to continue round, but things may have changed. Some places you're allowed two refusals at each fence. Don't go in expecting refusals - think positive! I bet you'll be posting about how much fun you had on here in a few weeks. Good luck!

Helen000

Visit site
Hi,

If you wanted to practise first at a farm ride then there is a sponsored ride on 31st but I'm not sure if it's near you:
Candover Valley Sponsored Ride Sunday 31st October 2010
You can get details from www.ridingdiary.co.uk

Good luck and have fun whatever you decide to do!

tedster

Visit site
Hi

I am going to that Hunter trial as well... Ive been lots of times before .. the 50cms class is fine no scary jumps or anything testing you will be ok :) they do have water but its optional, I do have photos but at home (at Work) I'll try and get some tonight but the photographer at Pachesham is Andrew Gillham so if you google it it should lead to his site have a look for events at Pachesham... honest the jumps are really easy :)

tedster

Visit site
ohh forgot to add xc colours are fine but you have to wear a back protector
they are really nice if your pony wont jump one of the jumps just go round to the next they let you carry on :)

IMO Its the perfect place for your first XC as has the easiest jumps

ridersince2002

Visit site
Thank you everyone! the first time I fell off her was trying to go over a 2ft tiger trap out on a hack, she just didnt want to get over it :S
thanks for the photographers name, I'll google him now :) I want to do a sponsored ride/farm ride but Im not sure I'll have the time before then if I'm honest, she's not my pony and I only ride her once a week :( so I'm hoping to school her hot a bit of controll before then if you get penalties for going too fast! thanks everyone :)