First jump lesson with new mare

becca1305

Visit site
I had a lovely new mare join my little band of miscreants a couple of weeks ago, and decided it was time to take her out to a jump lesson to get to know each other before eventing starts! Video evidence and my ramblings below for those interested ;).

Diva has been an absolute delight over the past couple of weeks at home not putting a hoof out of line. So we decided to take the next step and toddled off for a jump lesson, and she didn't disappoint! I let her down spectacularly at one fence (not on film!) and left her to sort it out (poor clever girlie) but I think as a whole we did alright! This would be the fourth time I've jumped her including her two trials pre purchase and the first time over a course.

Here is a few clips from our jump lesson..
http://youtu.be/pN8Y-7NpYaE

The lesson went well, some constructive criticism but overall very positive :D. I've got a few things I need to work on, she is very different jumping to my other mare who is more a whizzy overgrown pony type and I found this really showed in me sitting up too early over fences whilst Diva is still in the air as whizzy pony is so quick over them and quick to shoot off on the other side so I'm used to having to sit up sharpish! I also need to give more over a fence with her, and just need to work on keeping her a little softer round corners at times, but overall I'm really pleased and feel its just a case of practice and regular instruction to keep me on track! :).

After giving her masses of cuddles and loads of praise, and fairly beaming I took her back to the lorry park where Diva finally lived up to her name and refused to get on the lorry :eek:. She'd been a little awkward leaving to come home to me from her old yard, and on the way out to the lesson, but hopped on with a bit of encouragement and travelled well so I didn't worry about it....but home bound she decided to live up to her name and turned her nose up at my nice little 7.5t :rolleyes: having previously travelled in an 18t, though more to the point from what we can gather always with other horses. With help from one of the lovely mums from my pony club we happened to meet and her daughter she was eventually bribed, cajoled and manipulated up the ramp where we all breathed a huge sigh of relief! Lorry loading practice is now in progress, and since she loads nicely with my other mare on despite space available being a lot smaller for the big girl to turn round in, its safe to assume she's just not keen loading on her own so hopefully a bit of practice and patience should resolve it! :)

Aside from that she seems to be happy enough in her new life with me, she has settled well into the herd
(little and large!)
d431c2ed-c45f-471c-8d92-652fabb9607b_zpsefa0fb39.jpg

and I think being able to stuff her face with grass helped mollify her over the move ;), as the field conditions at her old yard were so bad she had been in for a couple of months.

She seems less impressed with all the new snazzy stuff she gets bought...
c63d5bab-aa57-409f-b39e-7da901ecd495_zpsf8544dc5.jpg

So fingers crossed everything will continue going well and we can look forward to the eventing season ahead :).

PorkChop

Visit site
She is gorgeous, what a fabulous jump :D Love her attitude, even when she is not spot on for a jump she keeps going - btw this is no criticism on you, I think you ride her really well - especially considering you are used to a speedier model!

becca1305

Visit site
LJR - Thanks :). She is very honest and really enjoys her jumping - one of the few things in jumping her and my other mare share in common! That was really important to me when I was looking; to have a horse happy to go off strides that aren't perfect and forgive me when I make a mistake! and she seems to fit the bill nicely :). I hope with practice I will become a little neater in my position, but at the moment focussing on making sure I don't get left behind as she has a big jump and I don't want to catch her mouth.

Scarlett & MandyMoo thank you! :). Luckily her personality on the ground matches that under saddle and she is a nice 'person' and a right softy pants and has already wormed her way into everyones hearts.

Tarrsteps -she's an ISH by Courage II, so is at least half Holsteiner, but dam side unknown all I know is that her dam was Irish.

becca1305

Visit site
Ffionwinnie - thanks :)

KatB- yes it was a CM lesson, one of the event clinics she runs so did some arena xc practice too, supposed to be for what would have been our first comp at the arena eventing on sunday but I forgot she had the chiro on fri & she advised giving her the weekend off so we withdrew & will aim for a Trailblazers SJ class probably :).

becca1305

Visit site
lex2501 - thanks, I don't think I'm going to be telling her about all these lovely comments, I don't want it to go to her head and her to turn into a proper Diva ;). I hope so, she will be travelling mainly with my mare normally, but needs to be able to go in on her own so will hopefully nip it in the bud, she is calm travelling solo its just loading!

little_flea - what a lovely comment, thank you :). Still things for me to work on but she knows her job and seems happy to keep tramming whilst I work on what I need to be doing!