First lesson - adult beginner rider!

becr88

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've booked my first lesson for next week at the grand old age of 30. The only previous experience I've had is going on hacks when I was around 13/14. Has anyone got any tips for the first lesson? :)

Nayumi1

Visit site
I started 18 months ago now at 30 as well. All I can say is just go there and enjoy it. I rode when I was a child and I remember very little plus things have changed since then too lol. It is an amazing journey once you're on it though so go and have fun!

becr88

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I wondered how I would be since I hadn't been in the saddle for such a long time. I found that I was immediately relaxed - I got to groom and help tack up before the lesson which I loved. During the lesson I did some walking and practiced rising trot. I think this will be difficult to master- managed to do with one hand on the saddle, probably looking like sack of potatoes >.<. I got to lead back to the tack room after the lesson.

Next week I have a lunge lesson and I'm really looking forward to it - I'm like a big kid I swear!!! :D Although my legs ache today.

Wow Rumtytum - that's amazing - what stage of your riding are you at now ? :)

becr88

New User
Visit site
Relax, smile and keep breathing. I had a first time rider yesterday - and she really enjoyed herself at the slightly more advanced age of 76. She's booked in with me a again for next weekend:)
- wow 76 - just shows it's never too late right? :)

Nayumi1

Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I wondered how I would be since I hadn't been in the saddle for such a long time. I found that I was immediately relaxed - I got to groom and help tack up before the lesson which I loved. During the lesson I did some walking and practiced rising trot. I think this will be difficult to master- managed to do with one hand on the saddle, probably looking like sack of potatoes >.<. I got to lead back to the tack room after the lesson.

Next week I have a lunge lesson and I'm really looking forward to it - I'm like a big kid I swear!!! :D Although my legs ache today.

18 months on and I'm still like a big kid with it. Glad you enjoyed it and the lunging lesson will be so so good for you! I benefitted so much from lunging lessons.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site

Well done you! It’s great to help groom, tack up and lead back to the stable, makes you feel more involved and it’s just wonderful to be with a horse! Sounds like you have a lovely riding stables. The lunge lessons will help enormously.
I have 2 private lessons a week, did a bit of jumping about a year ago then concentrated on very simple very low level dressage stuff, entered 7 competitions and got 7 rosettes! At my age they are highly treasured possessions :). I’m abroad for 2 months, when I come home I want to have a bash at jumping and cross country.
Keep your updates coming, I love reading about new riders and their experiences :)

becr88

New User
Visit site
18 months on and I'm still like a big kid with it. Glad you enjoyed it and the lunging lesson will be so so good for you! I benefitted so much from lunging lessons.
Ah really! I literally feel so excited for tomorrow, think this will be addictive. Where are you at with your riding now Nayumi1 :) ?

Well done you! It’s great to help groom, tack up and lead back to the stable, makes you feel more involved and it’s just wonderful to be with a horse! Sounds like you have a lovely riding stables. The lunge lessons will help enormously.
I have 2 private lessons a week, did a bit of jumping about a year ago then concentrated on very simple very low level dressage stuff, entered 7 competitions and got 7 rosettes! At my age they are highly treasured possessions :). I’m abroad for 2 months, when I come home I want to have a bash at jumping and cross country.
Keep your updates coming, I love reading about new riders and their experiences :)

I wish I could afford two lessons a week, I'm just at one lesson a week for now. I had a choice between the one school I'm at now or one that was much bigger, decided to go for the smaller school, think it means I will be more involved and can build a bond with the horse before riding which is good. Ah wow - way to go with your rosettes! Jumping and cross country sounds fun :D

becr88

New User
Visit site
So today I started on the lunge line - first in walk and then with rising trot. I'd watched numerous youtube videos on this and found it alot easier than last week where I was using my stirrups to push up, this week I was letting the horses movement aid me in the post instead. We started on the left rein but then when we went to the right rein the horse sped up to the fastest trot ever, I thought a canter may break out and then my saddle slipped to the side! :eek:The good news is that I stayed on and got praised for staying calm. The RI had to adjust the saddle and then I tried rising trot on my own off the lunge, I did manage one length of the arena on my own but then lost it, will have to keep practicing but I was proud of that one length :D

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
So today I started on the lunge line - first in walk and then with rising trot. I'd watched numerous youtube videos on this and found it alot easier than last week where I was using my stirrups to push up, this week I was letting the horses movement aid me in the post instead. We started on the left rein but then when we went to the right rein the horse sped up to the fastest trot ever, I thought a canter may break out and then my saddle slipped to the side! :eek:The good news is that I stayed on and got praised for staying calm. The RI had to adjust the saddle and then I tried rising trot on my own off the lunge, I did manage one length of the arena on my own but then lost it, will have to keep practicing but I was proud of that one length :D
Great update! You are doing really well! I know that feeling of achieving something and being proud of yourself (also know the opposite too ha ha!). I couldn’t afford even 1 lesson a week when I was your age, more money so 2 now to make up for lost time. I found some free Pilates for dressage riders videos very helpful to strengthen core muscles and open the thighs. And I’ve fallen in love with my RS horse but that’s another story :)

Nayumi1

Visit site
Ah really! I literally feel so excited for tomorrow, think this will be addictive. Where are you at with your riding now Nayumi1 :) ?

I wish I could afford two lessons a week, I'm just at one lesson a week for now. I had a choice between the one school I'm at now or one that was much bigger, decided to go for the smaller school, think it means I will be more involved and can build a bond with the horse before riding which is good. Ah wow - way to go with your rosettes! Jumping and cross country sounds fun :D

I now have my own horse and still have lessons regularly which has been great. It took me a little bit to change my mindset as I wanted to be perfect at everything straight away and you most certainly do not achieve that haha. Now I enjoy schooling my new horse, creating a bond and working together. Eventually hope to event but not in a rush :)

becr88

New User
Visit site
I now have my own horse and still have lessons regularly which has been great. It took me a little bit to change my mindset as I wanted to be perfect at everything straight away and you most certainly do not achieve that haha. Now I enjoy schooling my new horse, creating a bond and working together. Eventually hope to event but not in a rush :)

that's awesome you have your own horse :) I know what you mean about wanting to be perfect, riding looks so much easier than it actually is!

Just got back from my third lesson today. My first two lessons were on a horse that was really forward going with voice aids and lightest of leg aids! I had a different horse today, he was older and think he saw me coming from a mile off :') wasn't as forward going and had a lot of trouble trying to get into trot and staying in trot! Got put on the lunge whilst my instructor got him to trot and then went off the lunge into the arena on my own - managed to get my balance pretty much straight away and improved with my arms managing to keep light contact this week. Was just hard to keep him in trot, if anybody has any advice for leg aids please let me know ^.^ was trying to squeeze on the downwards but I think will take practice as it's a lot to take in ?

My instructor then said we were going on the lunge to canter - my face must have been like :eek: anyway I think he must have been having an off day as he really didn't want to canter - got two strides (felt like I would fall off, must remember to lean back haha) and then he went back to trot and walk.

I am on the same horse next week so I think it will be a case of reading up about leg aids etc.

Nayumi1

Visit site
that's awesome you have your own horse :) I know what you mean about wanting to be perfect, riding looks so much easier than it actually is!

Just got back from my third lesson today. My first two lessons were on a horse that was really forward going with voice aids and lightest of leg aids! I had a different horse today, he was older and think he saw me coming from a mile off :') wasn't as forward going and had a lot of trouble trying to get into trot and staying in trot! Got put on the lunge whilst my instructor got him to trot and then went off the lunge into the arena on my own - managed to get my balance pretty much straight away and improved with my arms managing to keep light contact this week. Was just hard to keep him in trot, if anybody has any advice for leg aids please let me know ^.^ was trying to squeeze on the downwards but I think will take practice as it's a lot to take in ?

My instructor then said we were going on the lunge to canter - my face must have been like :eek: anyway I think he must have been having an off day as he really didn't want to canter - got two strides (felt like I would fall off, must remember to lean back haha) and then he went back to trot and walk.

I am on the same horse next week so I think it will be a case of reading up about leg aids etc.

Sounds like you are having a brilliant time and don't worry the canter does get easier :) I remember the lazy riding school horses lol.

Practice really does make perfect. I found it hard to take everything in at once so I just focused on one thing at a time and it starts to come together with the odd thats how it works moment.