First lesson of the year, first falls of the year...

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I was at my regular lesson on Sunday, for the first time in a couple of months. For a variety of reasons, including Christmas break, when the centre shuts down for two weeks I've not been able to get to lessons. The only time I've been on a horse since early November was an hour riding through Greno Woods in December.

So, yesterday, one of my instructors was in the arena from about ten minutes before the end of the previous group's lesson, on a horse that is notoriously hot, and has been I think unridded for a couple of months (I don't know why). She stayed in the arena and our lesson began. Another ten minutes, we were near the end of warm-up, and the hot gelding decided to buck her off. The instructor picked herself up while the horse proceeded to gallop around farting and refusing to be caught for another ten minutes. When she and our instructor for the lesson finally cornered him, she checked his tack and mounted up again.

A bit later, the other bloke in the group, maybe a couple of years older than me, got shaken off by his horse; turned a sharp corner, got out of balance, and the horse seemed to think "this is going to an easy one to chuck off", so he did it. The rider picked himself up, stretched his sore inner-thigh muscles, and got back on.

Then it was my turn. My bolshy, work-shy gelding had thrown me in early October. He'd tried again a couple of times in yesterday's lesson, by suddenly stopping dead from a trot... I'd stayed on and made him do loads of transitions between walk and trot, and stand and trot. But in the exercise for the day, on transitions, he refused to go to canter near the barrier around the arena, after trotting between parallel poles on the ground. He lifted his withers, made a movement as if he was going to start the canter, then dropped his front, bucked up his back and and threw me forwards over his shoulder...

I sat down heavily in the sand, still with the reins held lightly in my left hand and crop in my right hand, and span around to look at him. He looked, jerked back his head, puling the reins from me, and took off for three laps of farting gallop, stepping on his reins and breaking them in the process.

But when he calmed down, I made that little noise you make to call a cat to you, and he walked towards me with no problem, and stayed still while I pierced a new hole in the rein billet. I got back on him, and he was relatively well behaved for the rest of the lesson... Far from perfect, but OK.

I'm beginning to get a reputation for being the only person in our level of lesson who is able to get the stubborn and work-shy horses to do something to earn their keep.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
oh blimey, are all the horses at your riding centre like that? doesn't sound like much fun for anyone :oops: hope you aren't too sore today.

Ouch05

Visit site
Well done you for carrying on and I hope you are not to sore but I would be talking the owner as having the other horse and instructor in the same arena as a lesson is not professional at all and would of unsettled the other horses.

my horse is kept at a riding school and this would never be allowed it puts clients at risk. My horse is a little hot and I am very careful when I am riding in the arena next the the riding school arena that when he being 'hot' I go back to walk as not to wind up the riding school saying that they are good horses and they very rarely have their riders off and that is normal through imbalance never from stopping or bucking riders off.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
oh blimey, are all the horses at your riding centre like that? doesn't sound like much fun for anyone :oops: hope you aren't too sore today.

No, they're not bad, generally. And there are a few that are really good for people my level, starting to go over jump.

There are two mares who can carry someone my weight who are very good jumpers; it's almost as if I just need to take care of the steering to go around the obstacles in the correct order, and the mare takes care of the pace, stride length, and the take-off and landing all on her own.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Well done you for carrying on and I hope you are not to sore but I would be talking the owner as having the other horse and instructor in the same arena as a lesson is not professional at all and would of unsettled the other horses.

I felt quite sore yesterday afternoon and evening, maybe I didn't stretch enough. I spent a good part of the afternoon repairing the reins. I've not done much leatherworking over the past six months, and I think I should really get myself a proper bench and stool set up at the right height.

To clarify, V is the qualified instructor who was on the hot gelding (which belongs to the centre, it's not her own horse) who dumped her and then galloped around for a bit; M is a trainee instructor, who is teaching our group under V's supervision.

The other horses in the arena were not at all unsettled by the events. In fact, they are so well-behaved when something like this happens, that they don't even care if the other one comes charging towards us in the centre of the arena... we leave enough space between us so that it can run straight through the group, if it really wants to.

In the indoor manège, though, that's a bit tight, and I've seen a horse get spooked and set off others.