First pony? How old were your kids?

Sponymum

Visit site
Hope it’s ok to ask! We are considering buying a first pony for our LO who’s approaching 2! Our eldest daughter (12) already has a lovely loan pony but I’d love to know how old your children were when they first started?

Patterdale

Visit site
Mine were 2, but it was a bit early really. They don’t start truly loving it or gaining much in the way of skills until 4 in my experience.
I loved it though and they’re all keen riders now. Wouldn’t have been worth paying livery for a 2 year olds pony I don’t think but if you can just stick it out at home I think it can work quite well.

L&M

Visit site
My boy had a shetland to play with from 4yrs old, but didn't really get into riding independently until he was around 9 yrs old.

Abacus

Visit site
Mine were 5 and 3 but before that we borrowed little ponies for rides, and they sat on the 14.1, carefully supervised and held on. I would say the earlier the better as they seem to develop a confidence and balance even from when they are very little, and it's harder to get there later when they may be more fearful (I think a child's fear response kicks in around 4 maybe?). Someone might tell me otherwise, I still don't know much about children...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Pony came back off loan a month before I had mine, so stayed put and mother drove her again for a few months till sprog could sit up....
Then on at about 8 months to potter, ending up doing LR classes at 3 and 1st ridden at almost 5.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Mine was riding regularly from age 5 at a riding school (she'd ridden off and on for hacks age 3 up) nowhere here would do lessons for kids under 5...

We bought her first Pony this year when she was 7. Perfect age really as she can do more of the yard bits herself and is happy riding and competing low level solo (I go on foot for hacking as I don't have a horse myself) x

Spot_On03

Visit site
I started at 6, first pony at 12 because I begged. Had lessons weekly until I was 15 when I stopped due to GCSE's. My daughter now rides at 6 occasionally, and nicks mine. She's never known a life without horses... She can turn out, muck out and poo pick well, she has made feeds since she could sit up. I do nets as sets off her breathing.

EventingMum

Visit site
My son sat on ponies from a very early age and borrowed one of our RS ponies to take to shows. When he was 3 we bought a Sec A foal that was "his" and later became his riding pony. At 5 my dad bought him his first riding pony as by that time he was showing more interest and wanting to ride regularly.

Leandy

Visit site
Mine were nearly 4 and 7 when I bought the first pony for them. Before that they rode at a riding school. I keep my horses at livery and wasn't going to go the expense of a pony and livery when they were too small to appreciate it and could lose interest at any time. At that point it was clear the 7 year old was keen and likely to continue and once there were two of them to share for a bit it was worth taking the plunge. I don't think really little ones get much out of riding tbh. They are just a passenger, can't follow instructions and there seems to me a danger of just spending several years being led around in danger of getting bored. I'd leave it until they are at least 6 and can get on to more exciting stuff and have shown a lasting interest myself. Before that the pony is more for the parent than the child IMHO!

oldjumper

Visit site
Friend gave mine barely touched mountain pony when child still crawling! We waited til she was 2 (and pony 3) before starting. Did everything v safely and all went well. Went on to enjoy many happy years of ponies/horses/competing and still is 30 years later!
No one right answer - depends on child, pony and home support I think. Most important thing is it should only be about what child wants and is happy with and not the parents…