First ride in 4 months... I love my boy!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Ever since the snow hit in November I have had no motivation to ride and Fella isn't the kind of horse who needs regualar riding to stay sane, so I thought what the hell, he can have the winter off.
Ever since the nicer weather started a couple of weeks ago I've been thinking about getting back in the saddle and since Monday its been lovely down here, so I decided to hop on today and have a poodle around.
It was lovely! Nice and sunny. Just went for a wander for about half an hour, with two impromptu trots (neither of which I asked for, he just likes trotting up hill and I figured as he lives out 24/7 he is used to a lot more than a dozen strides of trot in half an hour so I would let him)
He is such a good boy. 4 months off, only been at the new yard about 6 weeks now and he is safe as houses. The only scary thing we saw was a donkey who was refusing to move, so Fella just waited until it was out of the way and went past.
He did look look funny though - he wore his ride on sweetitch rug for the first time. He doesn't need it yet, just thought I would get him used to it ahead of time. He just looked at me like "Oh god, what are you going to put on me now..." According to the YM he looked like he was going jousting!
Anyone else bringing their horse back into work after the winter off? It's lovely isn't it!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Forgot to say, my bum is aching already! Dread to think how its gonna be tomorrow... Didn't think it would be this bad after just 4 months. That will teach me to have the winter off!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Yay, sounds like you both very happy to be riding again!! I did decide to persevere this winter (so nearly gave up at times due to the arctic conditions though! :D) but seeing the sun and blue sky makes all those dark nights and freezing temperatures worth it!! You will be in sooooooooo much pain tomorrow.... def have the ibuprofen to hand!!!:)

winchester

Visit site
Me too!

Boys had a Busy Showing Season last year so after HOYS we took their shoes off and let them have a holiday!

On Monday we had Dentist Vet and Farrier and Tuesday were ridden for the first time since October! Went mad on the lunge but the hardest bit was getting their girths round their fat belly!!!

Is lovely to be back in the saddle though!!!!

ceva

Visit site
Hi,
I have had no motivation since the snow, so my horse had a 'break' the first in 12yrs.
I washed her tail on Tuesday and lunged her and she was as good as gold. Had to go to work so thought great get on tomorrow' Weds' no such luck it was cold windy and we had hail, no problems 'Thurs' 39 mph winds not good on our own when windy, work tomorrow/ sat so hopefully will wash mane on Sunday quick lunge and away, looking forward to getting started again, just got to keep eye on weather forcast as have to tack up at field gate so not good when wet., but at least it has dried up a bit now.
Also looking forward to getting rug off, summer coat,change into fresh paddock.
Need i say more!!!!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Hope the weather is good for you so you can get back on!
I bit the bullet and took his rug off, I bet there is an 18.1hh mud monster currently walking around the field instead of my horse!

ceva

Visit site
Just looked at the forecast should be okay sunday. hey tasteofchoes have you taken your rug off completely or do you put it back on if it turns cold again. I took Misty;s off Tuesday but put it back on in the evening out 24/7 and it was freezing wedsnsday so glad it was back on. as soon as it a bit milder will take off completely but my mare very thin coated.
Got to get warmer soon, two years ago it was snowing at this time!!!!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
It will be off until sunday as we are expected rain then. He is fine with the temperatures (about 10 during the day, 5 at night) and is plenty furry enough to cope with temps colder than that. But he hates the rain, he has a shelter to go into but prefers not to use it! So unless the temps drop dramatically, it will just go on for rainy days. He was only in a rainsheet for the last couple of weeks anyway, so didn't provide much warmth. I just like to take his rug off as soon as poss, as due to his sweetitch he has to wear a rug for much of the summer, so like to give him as long as poss in spring and autumn rugless.