First ride since lockdown

Orangehorse

Visit site
So I umed and ahed about this. Would I survive, or would he be the dangerous prat that he had been after box rest. Of course he has been turned out everyday as normal, so hasn't been confined. OH said why not ride in the field, but I reckon that is more dangerous that the road as there are things like pheasants flying out of hedges and all sorts of excuses for a buck.

He had his shoes off in March, but I had been rummaging in the back of the feed room and found 5 serviceable hoof boots.

So that was that, I was determined to go for it today.

Put hoofboots on the front, not bothered with the back. Put (cleaned) tack on, and ventured out, straight into about 20 young cattle who were very interested. Didn't turn a hair, so that was a good start. Went off down the lane perfectly behaved. Well, this is good. Obviously I didn't want to go far, which meant turning round, not riding a circuit. As soon as I turned for home the blighter started to pull and jog.

I had noticed a tendency Before Lockdown to return home with more energy than going out, but this was turbocharged and I reckoned I have to stamp on this without winding him up too much. No, you are NOT taking charge and doing your own thing. So with a mixture of halt, turning round, turning circles I managed to get back home more or less the pace I wanted but obviously will need Lessons in Manners. I wonder why this is, as it is something he has never ever done before, even as a youngster and he is all of 22 now.

So I am very pleased to have been out riding again.

Lovemarmite

Visit site
I too ventured on my first short hack yesterday, decided to go in the morning as he had been turned out all night, gave him a good groom to relax him, tacked up and even though my heart was in my mouth I got on, took the dog with us so I could concentrate on keeping her moving forward, singing a bit of boney M to distract us, we just hacked up the steep hill and back down, he was a superstar, I was so relieved as I had taken him out in hand the night before and he screamed the whole way round and was a pain! Can't wait to go again