First show for 6 year old

NannySarah

Visit site
Which class would you recommend for a 6 year old girl with her first pony who would love to go to her first show? :)
We are going just for fun, nothing serious at all but having a look at the places nearby there are so many choices! At the moment she is just starting to ride off the lead rein but I think at the show she would stay on the lead rein.
Some of the ones I have seen which sound suitable are best turned out (this is specified as a children's class), handsomest gelding, best lead rein novice rider. Or just the ones for different breed or type but I thought they might be a bit too serious?

I said she can enter one class to see how it goes and if she has fun we will enter some more in the future.
Also what would she be expected to wear? And if I was leading her would I need to wear something specific too?

Any other tips would be much appreciated ;)

willowblack

Visit site
First ridden classes are normally a good one to start on the lead rein, i used to love handy pony when i was little too, there is no pressure on them then :-D we have a grey pony so have stayed well away from best turned out ;-)

be positive

Visit site
Pleased it is all going well:)

I would avoid best turned out it can be very serious and until you get all the gear you may feel a bit out of place, go and have a look it will be useful for the future.
Novice lead rein sounds ideal, how you present the pony and rider depends on what type the pony is just to confuse matters for you, a native pony is shown in its natural state, rider and handler in tweed jackets, shirt and tie, cream jods, brown joddy boots for rider, handler can wear either a skirt or trousers, usually in cream, beige or darker such as brown or navy, try to be opposite to the colour of the pony's legs, so white legs = dark trousers.
A show type pony will be plaited, trimmed and may be shown with the rider in navy jacket, fancy browband and a bit more glamour than natives.
Novelty classes can be a fun introduction, there will be few rules and most will reward each child with a rosette.

Hope this helps get you started.

be positive

Visit site
First ridden classes are normally a good one to start on the lead rein, i used to love handy pony when i was little too, there is no pressure on them then :-D we have a grey pony so have stayed well away from best turned out ;-)

First ridden are off lead not on lead rein classes.

Tiffany

Visit site
You could also try the novelty classes. Most shows used to give every child a rosette in these classes, not sure if still the same?

TJP

Visit site
Family pony lead rein tends to be less 'serious' than the show pony lead rein. Fancy dress is fun and can be a good class to let them off the lead rein for the first time as they will usually only walk in the class as long as the pony is pretty bombproof. Lead rein handy hunter is usually fun, as long as she can jump little fences.

Goya

Visit site
without seeing the schedule and knowing what level the show is it is difficult to advise.
When my son was that age we used to do best turn out, lead rein, fancy dress and gymkhana classes.
For best turn out just make sure the pony and rider are as clean as can be. Make sure the tack is well clean and supple (this comes from regular cleaning) and the handler is also clean and smart. The same goes for other classes.
Our mantra was and still is:
Turn your pony out as clean as possible
Turn the rider out as clean as possible.
Ride the best you can and any results are a bonus.
You can then go home after the show with or without a rosette and say "we did our best"
And most of all have fun!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lr equitation, judges usually give helpful feedback & specials at local fun shows. Novelties, such as fancy dress, nicest tail, pony the judge would mist like to take home, fancy dress. Clear round. Lr working hunter if they have it.

NannySarah

Visit site
Pleased it is all going well:)

I would avoid best turned out it can be very serious and until you get all the gear you may feel a bit out of place, go and have a look it will be useful for the future.
Novice lead rein sounds ideal, how you present the pony and rider depends on what type the pony is just to confuse matters for you, a native pony is shown in its natural state, rider and handler in tweed jackets, shirt and tie, cream jods, brown joddy boots for rider, handler can wear either a skirt or trousers, usually in cream, beige or darker such as brown or navy, try to be opposite to the colour of the pony's legs, so white legs = dark trousers.
A show type pony will be plaited, trimmed and may be shown with the rider in navy jacket, fancy browband and a bit more glamour than natives.
Novelty classes can be a fun introduction, there will be few rules and most will reward each child with a rosette.

Hope this helps get you started.

Thank you, sounds like we need to go shopping! ;)

Thanks for all the class suggestions everyone, I think we will try our hand at the novice lead rein class then. Shame there are no fancy dress shows here that sounds like lots of fun! I'll let you all know how we get on!