First show in a year, after putting on weight (funny, i hope)

wkiwi

Visit site
When you haven’t been out to a competition for a year and have put on weight…

Day before = firstly be organised: get jacket, breeches, and boots and chaps out of cupboard, dust off, and take downstairs to hang in a prominent place.

Try on jacket. Suck in gut to get done up. Reassure yourself that it will fit better by tomorrow. Put boots, chaps, and jacket in horse truck ready.
Get riding hat. Go back upstairs and have extensive search for hat cover, which you remember seeing somewhere some time ago. Put hat in truck.
Go back upstairs to get hairnet and gloves which are also somewhere. Remember that gloves will be hot so go back upstairs and hunt for thinner gloves. Put in truck.

Next day: Remember to load horse, saddle, and bridle, horse treats and water/hay for horse. Feel impressed with organisational skills. (Find out later in the day that you forgot brush or sponge for horse).

Grumble under breath at effort to tack up horse (somewhat excited as it hasn’t been out for a year).

Grumble out loud at trying to get breeches on. Remember that you were going to try them for fit yesterday but didn’t.

Contemplate lying on back on floor to get zip up as know this works but then decide it is not worse the risk or embarrassment of not being able to get up again. Stretch fabric to maximum all over the bulges and finally get zip up. Feel mildly sick (from squished bits) but reassure yourself that it will be better in a minute. Or ten.

Put on boots with difficulty as new breeches act as corset and restrict bending. Remember that you were going to try on the chaps and put larger ones in if they were too tight.
Realise they are too tight. Wrestle for some time getting zips done up. Wonder why one leg is fatter than the other but pleased you bought chaps with elastic in. Stand up and consider range of movement still available then realise that this not helpful.

Feel relief when find that jackets are not compulsory because the tightness around the arms was becoming a concern. Get help to take off jacket (which has stuck on the fat rolls in places – why don’t they make stretch jackets?).

Contemplate excited prancing horse. Remember that mounting block is still in the yard and that horse is unlikely to stand next to the ramp. Borrow stool from kind person to use as mounting block.

Have trouble bending legs to get on rather high stool. Have more trouble bending legs to reach stirrup and realise that stool isn’t that high after all. Make big effort to launch into saddle as realise that prancing horse is not going to stand for another second.

Sigh with relief as the bulges seem to sort themselves out once mounted and can breathe and function after all.

Resolve to lose weight and be more organised before the next one…

Bernster

Visit site
Hah! I've had that moment with show jackets as I don't wear them often. It's a sad reminder of my slowing metabolism and expanding waistline. But I avoided the grappling and just bought a new one instead! quicker than losing weight haha.

rachk89

Visit site
Haha that made me laugh as it reminds me of me when I tried to do showing last year. 'Yeah mum this is how my jacket is meant to look, everyone else bought jackets that are too big'. :p

wkiwi

Visit site
Thank you for the nice comments - can never tell if other people find things funny as i do.
For those of you reading the replies, here is the horse's version (names of horses changed to XXX and YYY to protect their identity - LOL). Note- the test was Prelim.

XXX's Diary: I don’t understand this dressage lark. I only got a ‘3’ for my sequence flying changes. I mean, a THREE!!!!! Am sure I did everything right (YYY has been teaching me) – they were real springy, with plenty of expression and beautifully light on the forehand. I even managed to maintain the sequence round the short end of the school despite the interference from my rider! (Beat that YYY!!).

Anyway, I put lots and lots of them in (YYY says the more the better) and I think I should have got a 10 (or maybe a 9 because my rider wasn’t really with the programme; you know what I mean).

My medium/extended canter was absolutely fab too, though they said I lost marks for not wanting to stop as we went past some silly little marker off to one side somewhere – sigh, how was I supposed to know that?? (Oh, and they also said the canter was supposed to be working, but I don’t understand that one as I was working alright!).

Roll on the freestyle tests – YYY says they are the best coz you can do what you want!!!

PS – grass was delicious!! (But not sure it was worth going all that way for as we have LOTS of delicious grass at home in the new house anyway).
PPS - I haven't even got a photo or a video, as the stupid humans forgot to put in the magic device that does this (or a brush, or sponge, or a cooler). It's so hard to get good staff these days.

Orangehorse

Visit site
To get into show clothes - for long boots wear pop socks and talc, no socks as too tight in the calves. Hope you don't end up with "huntsman's knee" i.e. no circulation. Jacket - find a bra that flattens everything and check that buttons sewn on well. Sleeveless shirt - all these mm are essential.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I have similar problems with my jacket - and its one of the softshell ones!

Out on a rideout 2 weeks ago and I was melting, trying to take it off whilst controlling an excitable draught type that knew we were about to gallop.

Friend is riding alongside me trying to pull the arm to free me from it, shouting 'Why is it so stuck? Why won't it come off?'

BECAUSE ITS STUCK ON MY BINGO WINGS YOU TWIT NOW SHUT UP AND PULL HARDER BEFORE I FAINT IN THIS HEAT!

AFB

Visit site

Out on a rideout 2 weeks ago and I was melting, trying to take it off whilst controlling an excitable draught type that knew we were about to gallop.

Friend is riding alongside me trying to pull the arm to free me from it, shouting 'Why is it so stuck? Why won't it come off?'

BECAUSE ITS STUCK ON MY BINGO WINGS YOU TWIT NOW SHUT UP AND PULL HARDER BEFORE I FAINT IN THIS HEAT!

Been there!!!

wkiwi

Visit site

Love it! And all the other replies.