First show with new horse - nerves

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
So, have first dressage outing planned in with new neddie - had him since the end of January. It will be our first time out anywhere. He's really experienced (evented to fairly high level) and is fairly chilled in temperament anyway - but the nerves have been kicking in nonetheless! I know he's been to hundreds of shows so going to an UA dressage will be low key for him - says my rational head, but my irrational head has started all the what if's that i'm trying to quash!

Any tips/advice on getting rid of competition nerves? TIA

PorkChop

Visit site
Normal to be nervous :)

I would focus on one thing to aim for/achieve - whether that be rhythm, good corners or whatever you decide.

Really good luck :)

Charlie007

Visit site
Definitely normal to be nervous!!

Least your horse has been there and done it!! I had to take my ex racer out for the first time ever in his life to something other than racing!! He was actually a very good boy!!
Give yourself plenty of time and enjoy x

sarahann1

Visit site
Dunno, but if you find a magic potion to make it better let me know! I'm in the same boat, 1st dressage show next Thursday night for both of us, straight into Prelim for logistical reasons over current schooling levels (my instructor had told me to ditch even trying for corners!). If we make it through the test without leaving the arena early it'll be a miracle!!

Good luck, hope you have fun!!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Thanks all. His old rider has said he doesn't light up at shows/events and just normal 20 minute warm up before test needed. Its just because i haven't taken him anywhere myself yet that my irrational side comes into play! But i rode him in our school the day after we got him and he was good as gold, just got on with it - so essentially this will be the same thing.

Good luck sarahann1 for next week! x