First show :)

Jo1987

Visit site
I've recently bought myself an old 5ton VW LT50 horsebox, and as a first outing I took my horse and friend's to a local jumping competition.
I was so nervous having never driven a horsebox with horses on before, and having never jumped a course on my young cob before!
Box is 26 years old but performed perfectly, friend's horse is usually a bit upset about travelling but only took a couple of minutes going, and didn't hesitate getting back in to come home. My horse was an absolute star, despite obviously having no idea what was going on he listened to me and we came home with our first ever rosette!
I was so proud of my boy (and my truck!) just wanted to share :)

image_zpssnfxrzj4.jpg

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks all, I was so nervous about driving the truck, especially with 2 horses on instead if just mine, but they were so quiet I almost forgot they were on board!
Yes he's so sweet and genuine, we actually had a stop at fence 3 (dressage boards in the corner, lots of people watching in the gallery and a big window through which he could see the cafe, as well as it being his first time in an indoor and his first ever course!) but after a couple of seconds he hopped over from a standstill and we still got our clear round!
I was so proud of him it brought a tear to my eye on the way out!
Planning on just using the box every few weeks or so to explore the local bridleways/commons over the winter and then hopefully going to lots of shows/fun rides and staying over in it (it has a lovley living area) for an adult camp in the summer :)

image_zpsawhfxnq5.jpg

image_zpssaixpd5w.jpg

Last edited:

Jo1987

Visit site
Haha Equi, we were casting about for a name for it after being impressed with how well it went up hills with two on board, I think 'Bertie' would work!

catroo

Visit site
I had an LT 35 that I called wilbur, he was fab and we did miles and miles in him.

Perfect first lorries, not fast but keep going no matter what

Jo1987

Visit site
Yes Catroo, he's not a speed demon by any means, but feels nice and solid.
I've done a fair few miles with it empty - I could tell I had extra weight on with the horses on board as it felt different, but it didn't seem to slow us down?
Very impressed, and it gave the horses a nice ride judging by how quiet and chilled they were!
It's a nice easy manoeuvrable(sp?) drive (I'd have liked power steering, but I can do without!) and the large living area was very useful as it was raining!