First SJ lesson (Video alert!)

Nats_uk

Visit site
so after spending a few weeks settling Vegas in, getting saddle sorted etc I finally had my first SJ lesson.

Warmed up and instructor spotted straight away her tendency to rush in the trot. Worked on some small circles in sitting trot to get her to relax, accept the contact and bend round my inside leg - Vegas has a tendency to "encourage" the reins longer and longer, she is still learning to settle in to a shorter contact.

Instructor liked her canter - said she held herself similar to her father (Unbelievable Darco) - she holds herself quite "up" although I have to be careful she doesn't get too short and choppy because of this

Started off over cross pole and placing pole which she happily popped - she has a tendency to fall through in the turn so plenty of work in keeping her straight between leg and hand.

Moved it to a small upright which we did on both reins

Made fence a small spread and stuck a filler under it. The first time she attempted it the filler shocked her and she made the jump about 4 foot:eek: Unfortunately no video of this but the next time was much calmer:

Then attempt a little brick wall - this was a case of third time lucky as the first couple of attempts I did not have enough leg on and she ducked out:

We then went round a little course - again the first time I kept letting my reins get too long which meant when I needed to adjust the canter she ran rather then going in to canter. The second round flowed much better when I kept my reins shorter (despite her being lazy through the small double):

Plenty to work on - got to spend time doing plenty of transitions getting her sharper off my leg but keeping my reins shorter so she learns to accept a contact. Also time to start slowly introducing flying changes too.

Have flatwork lesson tomorrow (which I am sadly very excited about:D) and hope to have another SJ lesson next week. Fingers crossed will start getting out and about from July - I can't wait:)

CC welcome - I can offer homemade dark chocolate torte for those that have got this far:D

Princess Jess

Visit site
She looks lovely, can't wait to see how you progress with her.
I agree with what you said, the transitions to canter need to be much sharper but lots of transition practise will create this in time. I know how you feel with the reins, one of the horses I ride is a devil for stretching down into the contact so my reins are like washing lines! It just takes time I guess until she learns to come up into the contact rather than trying to pull it down, but it certainly looks like she's got lots of potential!
I can't wait to see you both once you're out and about, enjoy the flat lesson too! :)

Nats_uk

Visit site
She looks lovely, can't wait to see how you progress with her.
I agree with what you said, the transitions to canter need to be much sharper but lots of transition practise will create this in time. I know how you feel with the reins, one of the horses I ride is a devil for stretching down into the contact so my reins are like washing lines! It just takes time I guess until she learns to come up into the contact rather than trying to pull it down, but it certainly looks like she's got lots of potential!
I can't wait to see you both once you're out and about, enjoy the flat lesson too! :)

Thank you:)
Yeah plenty of transition practice schooling - my instructor knew the lady who broke her and apparently she is a good rider but her one flaw is long reins hence Vegas even more so not being used to a shorter contact.
I can't wait to get out - a few more lessons me thinks. Will be expensive to start with as got to hire transport but hopefully will get a lorry too eventually:D

CBAnglo

Visit site
Huge improvement already - well done!

Is this the new instructor?

Looking forward to the next lesson update.

Nats_uk

Visit site
Huge improvement already - well done!

Is this the new instructor?

Looking forward to the next lesson update.

This is the lady that owns the livery yard - she is a SJ'er. Jumps to quite a high level.

First flatwork is tonight but no vids as camera people will still be at work:(