First solo trip? Advice

Winter12

New User
Visit site
Hi All,

So I’m looking at taking my horse to a clinic this weekend, but the other horse we normally travel & ride with can’t come.

He travels fine with his buddy, but I haven’t travelled him solo or done a clinic/lesson on our own.

Do you think trying to do everything at once as a first time is setting myself to fail? Or to just got for it!

He’s still quite green & fizzy, so likely will p**** around once we’re there. But he isn’t normally dangerous.

TIA!

Annagain

Visit site
You'll be grand. Does he load first or usually go on after his friend? I'd practice loading on your own just to be on the safe side.

The most important thing is to allow plenty of time for loading / calming down once you arrive so you're never under pressure. Charlie can be a bit excited when we first arrive somewhere so I get there early enough that he can stand on the trailer with the front ramp down for 10-15 minutes and just take it all in and decompress. We then sometimes go for a little walk if he's still a bit lively. The first time I took him somewhere alone I somehow thought it was an hour later than it was so arrived for my 3pm lesson at 1.45 instead of 2.45. It was a blessing as he was a bit excited at first but he stood watching everything for so long, he was bored silly by the time we got him off the trailer he was like a donkey.

If you think he might be a handful, take a lunge line and walk him round for 10 minutes before even asking him to stand to tack up etc.

Have your car well packed so you can grab what you need easily so it's all smooth and stress free.... And enjoy it!

humblepie

Visit site
Agree with the planning in advance to have everything ready. When I first started going out on my own with my horse I basically was ready myself other than swopping into riding boots and hat/gloves and all his stuff was piled by the door of the lorry rather than neatly put away, so that I could hold him and get stuff out. Mine didn't used to stand well on the lorry on arrival so it was arrive, ramp down, horse out and hand walk him then get ready. Now he is a complete doddle and we go off all over the place on our own. Good luck.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'd take him out on a short trip on his own just to check that he'll be OK to travel. It's one worry off your mind on the day.
Agree and the thing is, if you are stressing with a 'will he or won't he?' on the day then you will pass that on to him, no matter how hard you try not too. I used to get so stressed out with the 'will she/wont she load?' that my legs were like jelly and I felt dreadful, something I'm sure she picked on from half a mile away!

Winter12

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

He loads fine & will load before or after his buddy. He just gets a bit of separation anxiety.

We’ve only been out a handful of times & it’s all new to him in his retraining so he’s always fizzy coming off the trailer & when I first get on!

I think I will go for it!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I find they are usually better alone as you don’t have the separation anxiety issues. If you can have a friend come with you for company / help that would be useful but otherwise I wouldn’t worry as there’s always someone around at these things to give you a hand if necessary.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Just to update you all, we went despite the howling wind & had a fantastic time!

He was a bit of a tit in the trailer & very excitable once there. But as soon as we started working he was fab.

Great achievement & confident boost for us.

Well done!! My OH used to come with me years ago and the whole time he would be asking what time are we leaving, when will we be home!! So I started going alone or with a horsey friend if they wanted to tag along! its much nicer as I use my outings as a social aswell!