First test on new horse.....mixed results

toulouse1

Visit site
So I've had my new boy a couple of months now and really pleased with his progress
Last weekend we went to boot camp where I officially fell in love, he was foot perfect and tried so hard
We did a test at the end and the results were good, sticky points being the the sections I had to give the reign or free walk, he just pokes his nose in the air as soon as I give the contact
Any tips on getting him to relax and stretch??

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The reason both those movements are included in dressage tests is to see if the horse is truly through and on the aids. If the horse comes off the aids (i.e pokes the nose or takes off) it shows you that he/she is not on the aids, i.e. comfortable with and accepting of your hands/legs/driving aids. You really need to discuss this with (or get, poste haste!) an instructor as an internet forum is too limited to really be able to help with this very basic requirement of good training.

toulouse1

Visit site
Yes I understand that very well, as mentioned I was at boot camp having x2 lessons a day and also have a regular instructor once a week and we recognise his schooling including the basics has a long way to go
I was simply asking if any one had any tips or excersice to encourage relaxing across the back and neck.... If you don't think this forum is a good tool to be sharing information perhaps you shouldn't be dishing it out!

Pennythetank

Visit site
I was simply asking if any one had any tips or excersice to encourage relaxing across the back and neck.... If you don't think this forum is a good tool to be sharing information perhaps you shouldn't be dishing it out!

No need to be so harsh you asked for advice she gave some....
The reason that this type of problem can be hard to discuss over a forum is because we have no way of knowing how the horse in question moves. Does he flop straight on his forehand and poke his nose, does he still work correctly from behind but ignore your hand aids etc. There are a lot of variables that need to be examined and we are not in a position to do that over the internet.
It sounds as if he is not seeking a contact properly. What can be of some benefit is pole work, in trot come in to poles on a proper contact and allow him to stretch down as he goes over. Pick him back up as his head comes up naturally. Also lots of strengthening hill work can help, letting him stretch down into a trot going up. It is a contact issue not (most of the time or at least sounds like in your case...) a relaxation issue so ask your instructor for exercises to help teach your horse to ask for and except a elastic, supplement contact.