First the mud - now colic

the watcher

Visit site
The mud has been so grim the last few days that I have been forced to keep my horses in for the odd day...which was working until I got to the yard tonight to find the pony standing in her box with laboured breathing and no interest in food..if that wasn't bad enough she then went down and did the 'edge of death' look that horses are so good at when they are full of gas...
....home now after the vet visit and a few hours supervision..and debating the quandry of how to keep them out of the mud/stop trashing the fields...without keeping them in, clearly it was the lack of activity that brought on this particular attack(having read the other colic thread will now be whipping up double espresso every night).

If somebody out there could wave a magic wand and make the rain stop and the ground dry up, that would be cool!
wink.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
I do swear by coffee!!! could you tell!!

Titch is 24 now and never had any health issues really, other than his weak spot is now his tummy as he approaches OAP status. He was colicing a good 3-4 time each winter in at 20, 21 but for the last two years with the coffee trick he has been fine. I cannot put it down to other changes or coincidence as it was pretty much guaranteed when he would get it!!

The secret is not to go too mad, you can probably do less than a teaspoon with smaller horses, its a case of watching the poo's and seeing whats best, but for sure if I had to keep mine in for any length of time, I'd be doing the latte's!!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
PMSL!!! ha ha!! as long as it has caffeine in it, but go steady to start with, try half a teaspoon in evening feed!!

Trust a highland to be so demanding!! I used to have a part highland pony, stubborn thing he was lol