First time BSJA

skye01

Visit site
Morning Guys,

I have brought a day ticket to go BSJA for the first time Saturday and i'm currently getting myself into a flap about it. Is it really any different to unaff ? Are there any rules i need to know about or how things work?

I'ma bit worried i'll been spoken to either in the warm up or arena as if it's busy or she excited she can get really fizzy and do these hugeeee bunny hops. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't but i'm worried i'll get told off! She is never out of control she just does a bunny hop to try and get away from me holding her. Is it worth me maybe putting a red ribbon in her tail or something to warn others she can throw herself, she gets really wound up/fizzy when horses ride close to her etc.

I was also reading about curb chains- am i allowed one on my bomber bit? Its not a metal one.
Any guidance or advice would be massively appreciated!!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Morning Guys,

I have brought a day ticket to go BSJA for the first time Saturday and i'm currently getting myself into a flap about it. Is it really any different to unaff ? Are there any rules i need to know about or how things work?

I'ma bit worried i'll been spoken to either in the warm up or arena as if it's busy or she excited she can get really fizzy and do these hugeeee bunny hops. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't but i'm worried i'll get told off! She is never out of control she just does a bunny hop to try and get away from me holding her. Is it worth me maybe putting a red ribbon in her tail or something to warn others she can throw herself, she gets really wound up/fizzy when horses ride close to her etc.

I was also reading about curb chains- am i allowed one on my bomber bit? Its not a metal one.
Any guidance or advice would be massively appreciated!!

It's not especially different. It is worth familiarising yourself with the rulebook online (https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/membership/member-handbook-and-rule-amendments) - a lot of unaffiliated competitions can be a bit lapse about upholding rules fully. Main thing to remember is that you *must* have a BS compliant (padded) whip if you carry one.

Warm-ups are often a bit wild - I highly doubt you'll be the only one on a fizzy horse. I'd only put a red ribbon in if she kicks out behind - if it is just hopping about without sticking her back legs out I'd leave it off. Maybe put a green one in to help people stay away?

Curb chain rule depends on what type of bit you're using to put it on, but if it isn't a metal chain you'll probably be ok.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
You will be fine - just find out before if drawn order, times or numbers on the board. It will help with your planning. I have often found they stick day tickets on at the end as make no difference to the results.

Of all the day ticket systems BS is the one I loathe! Essentially very expensive clear round. Another reason unaff does very well round here @RachelFerd!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
You will be fine - just find out before if drawn order, times or numbers on the board. It will help with your planning. I have often found they stick day tickets on at the end as make no difference to the results.

Of all the day ticket systems BS is the one I loathe! Essentially very expensive clear round. Another reason unaff does very well round here @RachelFerd!

Yep, I don't think the day ticket system makes any sense given that you're HC - and yet whenever I go to BS there always seem to be people using them??!

Around here though there really isn't a huge amount of unaffiliated jumping, and none of it goes to 110+ so that might explain why.

skye01

Visit site
It's not especially different. It is worth familiarising yourself with the rulebook online (https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/membership/member-handbook-and-rule-amendments) - a lot of unaffiliated competitions can be a bit lapse about upholding rules fully. Main thing to remember is that you *must* have a BS compliant (padded) whip if you carry one.

Warm-ups are often a bit wild - I highly doubt you'll be the only one on a fizzy horse. I'd only put a red ribbon in if she kicks out behind - if it is just hopping about without sticking her back legs out I'd leave it off. Maybe put a green one in to help people stay away?

Curb chain rule depends on what type of bit you're using to put it on, but if it isn't a metal chain you'll probably be ok.

I have been trying to read my way through it! so much info in there to get through!! Thank you:)
she has an eggbutt happy tongue bomber bit in at the moment.

skye01

Visit site

How do i find that out? It doesn't even say when entries close and times, if being released, will be announced :/ I never thought of it like that- i just didn't want to spend all that money on a membership and not enjoy it, we have a lot my affiliated near us than not sadly :(

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
How do i find that out? It doesn't even say when entries close and times, if being released, will be announced :/ I never thought of it like that- i just didn't want to spend all that money on a membership and not enjoy it, we have a lot my affiliated near us than not sadly :(

if you are getting times then it’s usually 2 days before. Times do make things easier.

warriors26

New User
Visit site
All BS shows now are pre-entry and times should be released 48hrs before (so for a Saturday show, times should be available the Thursday before) - if you're not sure where to find them, contact the show centre and ask where they will be. Make sure you have given them your day ticket code (should be 5 letters) when you enter, or before you jump.

Generally it's not much different to unaffiliated. As said above, make sure you have a compliant whip if you carry one and compliant hind boots if she wears them (this page has useful quick visual guides for the boot, whip and curb chain rules: https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/membership/Member-Handbook-And-Rule-Amendments). If you want to know for definite about any equipment being allowed or not, send an email to officials@britishshowjumping.co.uk with a clear picture, and they will get back to you within 24 hours.

I would put a red ribbon in her tail and you can also put one on her browband or in her forelock so people don't get too close (I used to put one in my old horse who would never kick anything; he just didn't like other horses getting too close to him). If she gets excited when there are more horses, you could also ask the secretary to go at the beginning or the end of the class; there shouldn't be any more than 8 horses in the warm up at any one time anyway.