First time competing

Beachball

Visit site
Hi Long time lurker here.
Embarrassingly I’ve been riding for 20 years and never done a ‘proper’ show. I’ve done a few at riding school as a teenager and some run at various livery yards where I’ve had my horse. I’ve decided I’d really like to do a show away from the yard but I’ll be honest I don’t really know what to do.
I’d like to do some unaffiliated dressage. There’s a fairly local venue that does midweek dressage. What do I need to know? It sounds very stupid but what do I need to do when I arrive? I’m planning to arrive about 40 mins before my time to tack up and warm up. Do I just go straight into the warm up? Do I need to ‘register’ anywhere with organisers?

Any advice/ routines/tips would be appreciated.

JBM

Visit site
Hi Long time lurker here.
Embarrassingly I’ve been riding for 20 years and never done a ‘proper’ show. I’ve done a few at riding school as a teenager and some run at various livery yards where I’ve had my horse. I’ve decided I’d really like to do a show away from the yard but I’ll be honest I don’t really know what to do.
I’d like to do some unaffiliated dressage. There’s a fairly local venue that does midweek dressage. What do I need to know? It sounds very stupid but what do I need to do when I arrive? I’m planning to arrive about 40 mins before my time to tack up and warm up. Do I just go straight into the warm up? Do I need to ‘register’ anywhere with organisers?

Any advice/ routines/tips would be appreciated.
I usually leave my horse in the box while i go find registration or tied up if I have someone with me to supervise
Then I take a walk around to see what is where so we both aren’t seeing everything for the first time
Usually try check where water if any is available (usually pack my own water)
Horses sometimes get too excited in new places to take water so usually make up some very very watery mash (before we go)
As soon as your registered you're good to go warm up! you can ask at register if unsure!
Never done dressage but this is what I do at show jumping

Squeak

Visit site
Is there a friend you can help at a show before you go to one? Or someone who could help you the first time?

You'd be absolutely fine by yourself but if you had someone who could help the first time it might make it a bit easier for you. Otherwise it might be worth going to the week day show one time by yourself without the horse to check it out and see what it's like and how the run. Then you'll know what's happening when you take you're horse.

I usually aim to arrive an hour beforehand. It gives you half an hour to find where to register (if needed, it's often not needed anymore post covid), then change and then tack up with twenty/ thirty minutes to warm up.

Has your horse been to a show before? Have you taken it off your yard to an arena hire or anything?

Beachball

Visit site
Is there a friend you can help at a show before you go to one? Or someone who could help you the first time?

You'd be absolutely fine by yourself but if you had someone who could help the first time it might make it a bit easier for you. Otherwise it might be worth going to the week day show one time by yourself without the horse to check it out and see what it's like and how the run. Then you'll know what's happening when you take you're horse.

I usually aim to arrive an hour beforehand. It gives you half an hour to find where to register (if needed, it's often not needed anymore post covid), then change and then tack up with twenty/ thirty minutes to warm up.

Has your horse been to a show before? Have you taken it off your yard to an arena hire or anything?

We often go training/for lessons and clinics at other yards and venues so I’m not so worried about that. I usually go on my own to these things. My horse travels well and I know what he’s like ridden away from home - bit sharper and spookier but nothing unrideable. The bigger problem is actually me. I get horrendous competition nerves. Hence why I’ve never done it seriously - the competitions at the yard were bad enough for me.

Ratface

Visit site
What's the worst thing that can happen?
In the past, I've been to shows where my horses have carted me out of the ring whilst showing in hand, dumped me whilst showjumping, offered to take a chunk out of the judge who inadvertently touched the horse's tickley bit, and best/worst of all, poo-ed on a judge's very shiny shoes. It was very runny poo, and ejected at warp speed!
Both the horses and I survived. The horses by being supremely unconcerned, and me by apologising politely.
Everyone was too busy watching, gossiping, eating, drinking, preparing, wandering around or having a quick nap to bother watching me for more than a few minutes. I was too busy hanging on/clambering up off the ground/apologising profusely/laughing to be bothered for more than five minutes.
Go on - give it a whirl. If you don't enjoy it, you don't have to do it again. Think of the money you'll save. Win win!

asmp

Visit site
Only bits of advice I’d give (although I haven’t competed for years!) are give yourself plenty of time so you’re not rushed in anyway and go with the mindset that you don’t have do it when you get there if you’re too nervous, horse is being an idiot, etc. Yes, you will lose money but it takes the pressure off.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Only bits of advice I’d give (although I haven’t competed for years!) are give yourself plenty of time so you’re not rushed in anyway and go with the mindset that you don’t have do it when you get there if you’re too nervous, horse is being an idiot, etc. Yes, you will lose money but it takes the pressure off.
This was the best piece of advice I was given. Take it step by step and at any point your worried just stop. No one will notice. Just go out with the mindset that you would like to have a lovely enjoyable outing with your lovely horse. Keep it all light hearted. If it goes well then you will definitely be bitten by the bug and you can build on each outing. Don't forget to smile and good luck!

Leandy

Visit site
I'd recommend allowing yourself more than 40 mins before your time to arrive. I've always allowed at least an hour ie 30 mins for declaring (although most people don't bother any more - if there is a steward they will tick you off once you arrive in the warm up), getting dressed, tacked up etc and 30 mins warm up. You may prefer longer if you get nervous as there is nothing worse than having to rush if you are already tense. It also allows a bit of leeway if you get delayed on the journey there for some reason. 40 mins is cutting it very fine. Be aware that some venues run without a steward on the warm up and will just expect competitors to get themselves into the arena at the right time. Either way, once you are in the warm up make sure you know which rider is the one before you and then when you see them go in, you will know you have another 6 minutes or so. Do make sure you are ready a couple of minutes before your time and are not late although it is always worth finding out from the warm up steward whether they are running on time, or early or late. If they are running early, be aware that you are still entitled to stick to your published time if you want and don't let yourself be rushed in early if you don't want to be! I'd recommend going on foot to have a look at how it all works first though if you are worried about it.

Reactions: jnb

jnb

Visit site
I always get there an hour before - 30 min to faff and get parked/unload horse and get off travel gear/tack up/go for a nervous wee/find the ring & warmup/check if they're running on time.
Get on 30 min before my time (earlier if new venue or horse overly wound up)
Warm up, stop approx 10 min before time, get OH to fly spray/give me a drink and tell me I can do it (I always have a last minute panic and think I can't)
Present myself to steward as the previous horse goes in, in case they want to do a tack check.

Good luck and take your time and enjoy it!

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'd honestly take someone who already knows the drill. It can be tricky juggling getting ready, checking in, arena etiquette, working out who's before you, keeping an eye on when they go in. Basically being where you should be, when you should be. As the previous competitor is halfway through their test you need to be heading towards the ring, waiting outside as they go up the centre line (but not distracting the horse in the ring) Can also get tricky when they are running late or early. Tho you're not obliged to go up the centre line till your given time. Many smaller venues don't have stewards so you need to be closely watching what's going on. Waaay easier to take someone who know all this till you get used to it.

Annagain

Visit site
Is it worth going without your horse the first time to get a feel for what's going on and work out how to go about things. Do they do it regularly enough that you won't miss out by going on foot first? Or maybe you could give the organisers a ring to explain you're entering your first event and to ask what you need to do?

If you do have a friend you could ask to go with you, I'd try that the first time, if nothing else to keep you as calm as possible or to call your test in case you go blan (it happens to the best of us!)

Good luck!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately I won’t have a helper on the day but looking at the venue they need helpers for other events so I’ve volunteered to go help before I compete so I can have a good look around and understand how things work.
What area are you in? Someone on here may be able to help? Hope you enjoy your day out helping.