First time dressage ...

kjp-xo

Visit site
Hi,

Really simple Q & i know i'm probably being thick but i've never done dressage, i've always done jumping.
So ... I'm taking the plunge into the dressage world ... BUT (&here's the simple part) how do i know what test i'm meant to do in a show? Is there set tests? :confused:

Sorry for sounding really thick, just unsure

thanks

kjp-xo

Visit site
Thank you! ... I just looked at introductory but they show 2008 & 2009 ... Feel like im being really thick? x

kjp-xo

Visit site
Ahh right! So i can pick either one (theres 2) & both are acceptable?

I now know why i havent done dressage before! Lol x

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
The competition venue will state which test is to be ridden, sometimes they run both intro tests but usually just one. So you need to check well in advance which one so you can learn it well in advance. The better you know your test the more you will be able to think about how your horse is going, not where!

Don't forget you can have someone read the test, a godsend for helping nerves. But still learn your test!

You can buy a book of tests at most saddlers, cheaper than individual ones. You tube is great for watching people ride tests and the website dressage diagrams sells tests on line which are set out movement by movement, they are great!

Good luck x

HardySoul1

Visit site
It is likely to be either Intro A or Intro B. The year in brackets shows which version of each test - so when minor tweaks are made you ride the 'new' version. Prelim tests (which are similar to Intro but include cantering) start at number 1 and go up, again different tests are revised in different years.

akennedy28695

New User
Visit site
Hey, I am in the exact same boat I am entered for my first dressage exam ever at the end of april, its nerve wrecking. I am on a new horse so just going to get my tests shouted out for me probably but my aim is to stay on the pony, she can be a bit excitable around new horses haha :p I wish you all the best in your dressage :D