First time ever for me - a how much post! (I'm quite excited)

_jetset_

Visit site
I've never done a 'how much' post as I have never needed to know how much my horse is valued at, but as I am thinking of changing insurance, I thought I should ask the question... there are 3 horses I would like your opinions on.

HORSE 1:
16.3hh IDxTB 10 years old dark bay mare. Qualified for Elementary class in the Derby House Championshio but did not go as in foal (looking for a price after foal has been weaned and back in work). Very well schooled on the flat, working at medium at home and a careful jumper, although current rider not into jumping so not competed show jumping. Proven broodmare also. 1st Novice test she came out with 68% and first Elementary 65%. Ready to affiliate.

HORSE 2:
17 - 17.1hh WBxTB 5 years old mare. Backed late 2005 and brought back into work in 2006 as given the time off to mature. Potential to go far in dressage as has the big trot, lovely head carriage and lots of presence, but could also event as has a bold jump (this is more for in a couple of months time). Excellent to handle and has lovely stable manners, good to shoe and load but nervous being clipped
blush.gif
- This is being worked on, as she has never been clipped before so could be ok in a couple of months. Home bred, so Mum (TB) and Dad (WB) can be seen

HORSE 3:
15.2hh TBxArab 3 rising 4 chestnut gelding. Been professionally backed this year and having a few months turned away to mature. Will be brought back into work in March 2007, again by a professional eventer who he went to this year. He is good to shoe and load, but has never been clipped as not needed it yet. Is good in hand and has been sat on several times. Bought for £1000 as a yearling.

Thanks for persevering guys... I don't do things by half, I know! Thought I might as well get them all done in one go!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Think I might have overfaced you all with all three... sorry!

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL! It's not that bad!
grin.gif

Think you must take into account how much you paid for Hannah, also what it would cost you to buy another similar to her and take the stud fee into account too. It will probably cost an arm and a leg for that though! Are you doing this for vet cover more than anything else? If that's the case, if you stick to under £5000, don't think you need a vet cert' for the insurers but you might need proof of purchase.
For the mare you have on loan, surely that is covered by the owners? If not it really needs to be what they are happy with I think.
Only one I can help with (I think!) is the youngster. It sounds promising but you'll have to give proof of why it has increased in value from a yearling and look at the market for similar types and go from there.

It's no good bankrupting yourself to pay premiums that you're not likely to see returned because if they're too high, companies will quibble, keep a happy medium; so don't price too heavily as I say, cos that's when the companies will want certificates, proof of purchase and all sorts.
Sorry, that wasn't a lot of help!

_jetset_

Visit site
For the horse I have on loan it is also an estimate price for her when she is sold in 11 months time... we are halfing the profits you see.

Han was bought for £3,500 as a very green 4-5 year old, and her insurance has not been increased since then. But I know if I was buying a horse like her I would be looking at a lot more than that now with the current market too. Especially with her schooling now...

Iestyn

Visit site
1. Hannah - I would say about £5-6k in the current market. She has no BD points or record - this , I think would increase her value a bit but if I was looking I wouldn't look at paying much more than about £6k and if it was working at that level I would expect it to be registered with BD and qualifying for regionals at novice and possibly elementary.

2. Grace - I would say about £2k - 3k at the moment. What is her exact breeding? From what you have said her owner/ breeder has the mum and stallion, so it's probably a "run of the mill" WB stallion, unless there's some very fancy breeding. It would also depend entirely on her paces and free jump - are they just "nice and correct" or is she very flashy, naturally balanced and has the makings of a good dressage horse?

Horse 3: About £1.5 - 2k. Unknown breeding? Not very "fashionable" breeding to make and eventer, dressage horse or SJer. Not saying he's not capable, but it's completely unproven.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks S_V... Han will be affiliated next year once she is back in work. I was going to do it earlier this year then decided to breed from her so felt it would be a waste of money at the moment. I know I should probably increase her insurance value in that case... don't think she is the £3,500 horse I bought anymore.

Grace was valued at £2,500 when I bought her so it's about right. That's good, because it means there is a good starting point to add value to if you know what I mean. She does have flashy paces for an unbalanced 5 year old (more like a 4 year old to be honest) and there is oodles of potential there for her to make a good dressage horse. Hopefully, once she gets going I can affiliate her and start getting the points. Although Han is undoubtedly the better horse at the moment, to Grace it all comes naturally (her medium trot on the lunge just floats, it's so nice to watch).

The third horse has known breeding, in fact he is registered with the Arab Society (not sure what it's called).

Rebecca