First Time Fence Judging...any tips please?

claracanter

Visit site
As title really. I've never fence judged before but thought it was time I volunteered. I'm going to Little Downham tomorrow. Do any of you have any tips for me please?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
There will be a briefing and you should be given the BE booklet. So my tips are distinctly practical! Take a brolly, plenty of warm clothes and a chair to sit on. You might be well looked after on the drink/food front but if not take a thermos or 3. Have fun!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well done on volunteering.

The briefing is, well, brief at best, as they need to get everyone out on the course in time for the start. There's never enough time to do more than scamper through some of the rules. Are you going to be paired with someone? Refuse to cover a fence on your own even if pressed to do so, but hopefully you will be with someone who has done it before.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Don't panic, ask to be put with someone else and if in doubt, ask someone (there's no such thing as a stupid question, especially because you're giving your time for free and it's your first time). I do a bit of fence judging when I have time and people are always lovely and there's always good cakes. Have fun!

meggymoo

Visit site
Take with you: Wooly hat and gloves, waterproof trousers, wellies, big coat, hand warmers, blanket, hot water bottle and thermos of boiling water to refill. Sunglasses, sun hat, suntan lotion, mozzie repellent, tee shirt, shorts. Think I'm being facetious? Nope! We have used all of these and any combination of those can be used on the same day! Good waterproof footwear is essential whatever the weather. A chair, several biros. Ermm, theres something else and I cant think. Half the time (at least) you will be somewhere with no mobile signal. Don't be afraid to call for the TA if you aren't sure how to judge a particular incident. TA's always say that if you are in doubt, award the penalty as its easier to take them off than add them later - riders don't tend to complain if penalties are removed. Everywhere we have fj'd you are really well looked after. Eland Lodge has been our best 'all round' for being looked after, but Margaret at A.L.W makes the best carrot cake I have ever had the pleasure to sample! Most of all, enjoy yourself.

asmp

Visit site
Agree with meggmoo - just about everything you can think of (including lip balm). we also take an electric fence post so we have a marker for measuring the time against. Was at a show the other day, the public were in shorts and strappy tops and we were huddled in coats - we were seated in the shade in the wind.

Take some drink though as usually get lots of food but not always lots of drink.

Last edited:

McFluff

Visit site
I’d add binoculars to the list. Some fences give you a difficult view and if rider is hunched forward it can be hard to see the number!

Bernster

Visit site
Hope you had a good day. Goodon you for volunteering I always really appreciate people who take time out to help keep events going. I did fj for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I had a long but great day, thank you. Saw lots of star riders and everyone was clear at my fence so nothing tricky to deal with. Really glad I made the effort.