First time hoof boots

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
With the better weather hopefully just around the corner I will hopefully be doing more hacking. My farrier was a bit concerned that my mare was wearing her soles quickly so am considering hoof boots. As she is not sore am not looking for a lot of padding I don’t think but want something comfortable and easy to use. There are so many out there, what should I be looking at? Need front boots for 1 sec D mare with roundish hooves and back ones for my other mare which are longer & narrower. We hack for several hours on roads and field margins but in dry summer clay soils are baked hard.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
You could ask the Hoof Bootique for some advice perhaps? https://hoofbootique.co.uk/

After hearing good things about them we bought some hoof boots for our mini (for in-hand walks including road work). He wears Cavallos and we chose to add the inner soles for extra padding in his case. It's my first experience with hoof boots but I measured according to the guidelines and they seem to fit great and have been easy to use.

Michen

Visit site
I have renegades on my wide round hoofs but also on my other horses long narrow ones, works for both.

I've just reshod though for spring/summer/autumn and have to say I'm glad to see the back of the boots for a while!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If she isn't sore then I'm not sure why your farrier says she needs boots. I would let her build up her callouses and be careful with a low sugar diet with balanced minerals.

If she becomes sore then at this time of year the usual culprit is spring grass, so please be careful of masking early signs of laminitis with boots and not realising until you get a full blown attack.

If you do need boots then as a first timer I would go for Cavallos, but they can rub so you might need to build up slowly. For long term use it's Renegades all the way for me but they are hellishly fiddly to do the first fitting.

Last edited:

suestowford

Visit site
I've just tried boots on an elderly pony who's had to have his shoes off. I didn't want to spend a lot in case he didn't get on with them so bought 2nd hand Cavallos. They fit him very well (he only has fronts on, his feet are quite round). He was doing fine without but there have been a lot of lorries up & down the lane lately and they've left a lot of stones behind so this is to make him more comfortable while we do his exercise walks.

pistolpete

Visit site
Defo hoof bootique or urban horse. I used cavallos with easy care pads for years. Liked the scoots but you can’t pad them as well. Cavallos are easy to fit and often come up second hand and save a bit of money. My highland wore size three slims and although clompy he really liked them.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Tip if you’re buying your boots new- put nappy bags/ carrier bags tight round your horses feet and stand them on a towel or rug.....that way they will be pristine if you need to return them.

ive used cavallos a lot and really rate them. They do come up big though, so if you’re inbetween sizes or close on the chart, I’d always try the size down first. They do hold their value quite well second hand as well I’ve found. There is a Facebook group called Hoof boots for sale or exchange UK which is really good (and probably others similarly titled).

Fransurrey

Visit site
Tip if you’re buying your boots new- put nappy bags/ carrier bags tight round your horses feet and stand them on a towel or rug.....that way they will be pristine if you need to return them.
There is a Facebook group called Hoof boots for sale or exchange UK which is really good (and probably others similarly titled).

Second this tip and the FB page recommendation. Another option is to use hire options. Both Hoof Bootique and Saddleryshop have this option. Type of boot will depend on foot shape, thickness of pastern and feathering, so do some research and bear in mind that some are MUCH more difficult with feathers.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I’ve never got on with Cavallo (not enough heel bulb room for any of my horses.

I like Evo / Flex / Scoots / Equine Fusion All Terrain Ultra.

But best boot is one that fits your horse, stays on, he moves well in and doesn’t rub.

holeymoley

Visit site
Cavallo are good for first timers. I have Cavallo Sports I think. Or maybe they're Cavallo Treks... Mine is shod in front but wears boots behind if we do a lot of road work.

asmp

Visit site
When you find out which ones would suit your horse’s hooves shape, have a look online for second hand ones. There are a few FB groups selling them. Lots of people don’t get on with them or no longer have the horse so you can pick up often in practically new condition.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have both my boys in Scoots and love them! Flex also look really good.

Found Cabello like clumpy clogs! Lol

Urban horse are fantastic for advice & I had a mixed fit kit from them. Was a lot more economical than Hoof Bootique.

SEL

Visit site
I'd definitely speak to one of the companies that stocks a lot of different types. If you take measurements (I took photos of the hoof with tape measure on it) then they can advise what would suit.

My big mare has large round feet and there aren't many that would fit her. Cavallos were like she was flipping around in wellies and she hated them. The feathered pony has upright hooves and as a poster above has said feathers add a layer of challenge (esp if they're muddy!)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I really dislike Cavallos. So clumpy. But they are an easy fit.

Scoots for me. Some people find they rub. They've been OK for me but do use endurance gaiters on one pair of feet out of the four pairs of feet we use them on.

It is worth consulting with Hoof Boutique, or someone, as no one type of boot suits every horse

Welshboy

Visit site
I’ve had quite a few different Boots in the past. Every horse and hoof is different obviously, but by far the best I has were scoots.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Just a word of warning boots like scoots and flex are quite thin soled. So depending on your terrain and how compromised your horses feet are they may still feel the stones through them.
This is why cavallos are always my first port of call, but appreciate they don’t suit all types.

Cragrat

Visit site
Hoof Armor is an alternative - it is NOT the same as keratex etc. Hoor Armor actually protects the hoof, instead of just drying it like formaldehyde does.
The hoofmanshipshop has it in the UK. It is a bit of a faff, but actually only 1 minute per hoof tops once you get going.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hoof Armor is an alternative - it is NOT the same as keratex etc. Hoor Armor actually protects the hoof, instead of just drying it like formaldehyde does.
The hoofmanshipshop has it in the UK. It is a bit of a faff, but actually only 1 minute per hoof tops once you get going.
This is interesting. I have a horse that is bi-laterally lame at the front at present due in part to sensitivity of soles (amongst other issues as yet unidentified but under vet investigation). How much protection does it give? Could it be used in conjunction with hoof boots? ....will google!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
This is interesting. I have a horse that is bi-laterally lame at the front at present due in part to sensitivity of soles (amongst other issues as yet unidentified but under vet investigation). How much protection does it give? Could it be used in conjunction with hoof boots? ....will google!
I have some. I found it pretty good for protecting soles but I'd hoped it would reduce hoof wear. Unfortunately it wore off the wear area of the walls within a few miles.

bouncing_ball

Visit site

I use hoof armor. Feet need to be totally dry snd clean before application. I apply wearing old clothes as drips stain. I think rub over soles of feet and dry with human talc. And leave in dry stable an hour before turning out.

I hack in boots. My horse is out 16 hours over night. I’m trying to thicken sole. Hoof armor does limit sole attrition in field and lessen feet going soft in wet weather.

But I think an application lasts a few weeks max, not 4-6 weeks as suggested.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I find Renegade Vipers work really well for round hooves but they need setting up properly. I put my Connie in Cavallo Trek slims after he came out of shoes but he just didn’t get on with them so he is now shod with Duplo composite shoes and we both love them.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Re: the hoof armour- on researching, it does look good but there is only one UK stockist and they haven’t been able to get any over since last Oct, but hoping for more Apr 2022 though you can Pre- order it.....which I might do if I can’t find anything else that looks as promising!