First time plaiting - Welsh Cob mane - panic!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi all,

I need some famous HHO advice. I've got my first ever BD prelim in two weeks, I've always had natives, and as such, no plaiting! Saf has a typical Welsh Cob mane, about 5 inches long, reasonable at the withers then thick as it goes up to her head. I've been trimming it with scissors (upwards) to get rid of some length (sure it's all grown back now!) and pulling it. Although she doesn't seem to mind it being pulled (I only pull a small amount so she doesn't notice, but it takes ages!) I don't feel it's humane to pull that amount of hair!

Friends have suggested solo comb it to get rid of the thickness but have seen mixed reviews on here.

So what would you do in my situation? I need all your plaiting tips, either that or does someone want to come and plait for me LOL!

Annagain

Visit site
I love my solo comb as my horse won't let me pull his mane (not that I'd want to particularly) and it's really good at dealing with length but not so great at thickness. I'm not very good at using it though (or anything like that, I'm banned from using clippers!) so others may have more luck. I don't think it'll make it look bad, it just doesn't give the same effect as pulling. Worth a try I'd say.

I wouldn't worry too much about the plaits, as long as they're tidy, it's more about the effort than the presentation with dressage as opposed to showing. Section off your plaits a little narrower at the top and widen them out towards the withers so they're the same size when they're rolled.

**Vanner**

Visit site
So what would you do in my situation? I need all your plaiting tips, either that or does someone want to come and plait for me LOL!

You could do little plaits and tuck them under each other. I'll try and find a picture. This saves the 'golf ball' effect.