First time tail pulling, tips?

Kacey88

Visit site
Pulling Milly's tail for the first time soon. I've looked up a few videos online, still confused about the best way to go about it. In one video I watched a thinner was recommended for cobs. Are solo rakes any good? No idea about this!

Thanks for any help.

Lolo

Visit site
Those rakes are a godsend. Reg is as likely to let you pull hair out of his tail as he is to let you set fire to it, but by using one of those his tail always looks immaculately pulled.

Think you can get them in Boots for a lot less...

traceyann

Visit site
Do it after exercise as the pores are more open when the horse is warm. little and often and if its your cobs first time be carefully my cob would kill me me if i tried . Also another tip put a bale of straw behind the back legs so if she kicks she gets the bale of straw first. good luck.

bran mash

Visit site
Personally unless you have to for showing, i'd say don't pull!

seems to hurt more than manes, and thins the tail..

i'd go for a razor comb, you can use scissors too if you are quite artful about it

get someone to help probably best! x

kerilli

Visit site
the rakes are a godsend. i'd do it with one of those, just do a little one side, then the other, back and forth (don't get carried away on 1 side, it's very easy to do!) until you're happy with the result. i'll never pull a tail again, no point now the rakes do such a good and painless job.

Kacey88

Visit site
Thanks so much you guys. Definitely going to get a rake. Anyone know where I can get a cheap but decent one? Have to ship to Ireland if its in the UK, which can be expensive. Is this the type of thing you are talking about?

http://www.triequestrian.ie/tri-equ...omla/363-oster-mane-a-tail-rake.html?sef=hcfp

This one doesn't seem right:

http://www.walkontroton.com/aberdeen-rake-p-9865.html

What about this:

http://www.walkontroton.com/smart-tails-mane-and-tail-thinners-p-8724.html

Also, what kind of blade do I get? Coarse/fine?

be positive

Visit site
1 or 3 will do the job, get a finer one if you want to do a really good job, you can get cheaper plastic ones but they will not last so long, mine is about 7 years old, from Clippersharp[ the 3rd one on your link] and is used a lot, still going strong with no signs of wear.

Kenzo

Visit site
I use a rake as well as pull but I'd only pull when the horse is warm, I'm more of a plucker, so tend to pluck away over a week until I'm happy with it, then I go up the sides but round the back close to the dock with some scissors.

Solo combs should be banned....horrid little useless things!