First weekend in Feb plans

J_sarahd

Visit site
We are off show jumping. I am using it as a confidence builder for me - I am the reason we’ve been having issues for sure as pony has been physically checked over and is back on ulcer treatment. I’m nervous as we are going to a venue I’ve never been to before but I am also excited to hopefully get our confidence back!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have organised a camp and it’s this weekend. Hopefully it will go alright without any drama. Have loads of very good friends coming along so should be a good laugh. I am lending one horse to a good friend - the naughty one so that should also be quite amusing. Hopefully will get me back on track as not done much for ages as couldn’t be bothered.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Dressage area festivals - horse 1 in Ele and Novice and 5yo in the prelim. Won't be bothering the winners! Instead treating it more as a weekend in Liverpool ?

I debated for ages about doing them but I don’t have an arena and the horse does dry up indoors so a load of holes and a disappointing test beckoned so will wait for summers. My enthusiasm for BD has waned. I might take grey pony to do CT Q but even that left a sour note in my mouth after last time. It looks like BS beckons!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Well, plans are to walk or hack in the rain this afternoon since the indoor school is booked for a jumping clinic. Pony shopping (not for me) with a friend tomorrow, then a light ride afterward. Sunday is whatever I feel like doing when I get there.

Horse has also had a cough for a bit, which I think is allergy related and it's always just two coughs when we begin to trot. No coughs last Sunday outside at the cross country jump school though. Vet recommended antibiotics, a brochial liquid, and inhalation of a steroid (we do use a flexineb from time to time), which seems a bit overkill...but then again, I'm not a vet. So I've been watering his hay and keeping him moving in addition to all that but he doesn't act or seem "sick" if that makes sense so ?‍♀️

Others have reported that their allergy horses have begun to kick off lately and something set me off (I don't really even have bad allergies) recently...so might just be that. Also a few horses with coughs in the main a stable too. So we'll just see how it goes.

Roxylola

Visit site
Had an early hack on Charlie yesterday (rush hour time) and took Bon for a walk in hand last night round the block as it was dark and he's not been out that much yet. He was very good though and I'd be happy to ride next time.
Hacking both on Saturday, alongside work and a bit of teaching. Sunday, I've got a bit of teaching in the morning then hired kelsall in the afternoon for a school round the arena xc for Charlie

j1ffy

Visit site
Hacking today, then volunteering at the Prestige Areas tomorrow. I'd asked to be a writer but they've put me down as a sheet collector - I did have a brief diva moment about it then remembered that volunteering is a good thing to do regardless, plus my step count will be better and I'll keep warmer ?. Are any HHOers there tomorrow?

Will probably do a bit of schooling after that and something short on Sunday as OH and I have decided we need a lazy day together...we're both terrible at doing nothing and have been a bit under the weather this week as a result!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I debated for ages about doing them but I don’t have an arena and the horse does dry up indoors so a load of holes and a disappointing test beckoned so will wait for summers. My enthusiasm for BD has waned. I might take grey pony to do CT Q but even that left a sour note in my mouth after last time. It looks like BS beckons!

Well I'm off to a thoroughly underwhelming start with a pretty poor 63.something in the ele. Started ok, ran out of gas a bit and then turned into a wooden camel in 2nd leg yield.

Have come to conclusion I enjoy training the dressage work but not test riding. And maybe horse will be better at Medium level since he much prefers half-pass to LY??? Can't be much worse ?‍♀️

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Took Lottie to the XC arenas at Somerford this morning. Super super happy with her. Slightly overawed by the fact that the only other people in the arenas were 2 Olympians and a GB U25 rider. Did our best to stay WELL out of their way.

Anyway Lottie was great. Huge improvements since our first wild ride there and since that lesson in which she was made to halt after every fence and got really agitated. I allowed her to travel more, had far more control and she was keen and happy. Hurrah. After each line we jumped, she was so relaxed I could drop the reins on her neck to video my friend and she just chilled out. She is super keen and forward though but I'd far rather that than a backwards thinking horse or a stopper. She reminded me of Amber a lot today.

272936901_4869614959785213_2704460281297875754_n.jpg

DressageCob

Visit site
Well I'm off to a thoroughly underwhelming start with a pretty poor 63.something in the ele. Started ok, ran out of gas a bit and then turned into a wooden camel in 2nd leg yield.

Have come to conclusion I enjoy training the dressage work but not test riding. And maybe horse will be better at Medium level since he much prefers half-pass to LY??? Can't be much worse ?‍♀️

I skipped novice and elementary with my horse for that sort of reason. He loves sideways and it’s far easier to keep his brain with more sideways in the test. My brain, on the other hand, needs to catch up ?

63% at AFs is still a good score. It’s better than I will get next week at my one ?

Alibear

Visit site
A quiet one here, the weather is horrible at the moment but will do an indoor schooling session tonight continuing to work on the exercises from last weeks clinic. Saturday it would be nice to go for a hack but that requires nice weather and someone else free to hack with. Sunday she might get a bonus day off as I'm going shopping with my Mum and sister.

humblepie

Visit site
Horse has had teeth done and physio this week as part of routine maintenance. May hack tomorrow then weather looks yuk on Sunday. Good luck all who are out and about doing whatever.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Yesterday we had our semi regular session with Tom Graham - Tom always brings a slightly different aspect to our training and is very good at unravelling some of the phycological aspects of riding, at least for me. He never lets me put myself down, and whilst he works us hard (Tom, I really need a break otherwise I am going to fall off in exhaustion!!), he makes sure we set ourselves up for success, even if we only achieve what others may consider little wins.

Today I have spent most of the day writing at Prestige AFs - lots of lovely combinations and we were treated very well. Indoor arena hire tomorrow - will probably try to do some test riding practice as I have realised that it is 6 months since we last competed, although for almost 3 months of that Maddie was off after knocking herself badly in the field.

Sunday writing again, this time at Wellington for the CT Ele class with a judge I haven't met before, although she judged me a few times on Cassie, so that will be interesting.

Hope everyone has a good time whatever you are up to. :) x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another heart-in-mouth weekend here. Frankie resumed turnout after being in the box since mid December. I can't fault his behaviour really, for an only-just 4yo after 8 weeks box rest, he has behaved impeccably. He was given a good dose of ACP and then dawdled out after Kira, there was not TOO much in the way of shenanigans, so gold stars all round.

Hoping the halo stays wedged on tomorrow as he will have neighbours in the next field then, eep.

Sad day yesterday as finally had Darcy pts, dear sweet horse had just come to the end of his time. I promised him that he wouldn't ever suffer so he went quietly, filled to the brim with carrots and smothered in cuddles.

Drunken trotting about

272928488_5197274563617345_7521383552908826036_n.jpg

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I am so happy right now, it may not last, so I feel the need to record it, but we had the best ride so far of the year today. I am not sure whether it was processing the stuff I had gone through at the clinic on Thursday, but everything just came together, and although things weren't perfect, I felt that I could gather together the conviction to correct Maddie and get what I wanted done. She would never even consider doing anything nasty, but if I feel a bit lacking in confidence about stuff, we both just back down together and bumble around the arena. One of my issues is canter strike offs. I struggle on the right rein in particular as I overthink it. Then when it doesn't happen, I get in a flap. I am fine once we are in canter, but I have a real mental block about failing to get into canter so I don't want to try. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it's been something I have been trying to unravel recently. The reason the right rein is tricky, is that my left hip is tight, so I find it hard just to slide my outside leg back and ask. I used to have a habit of throwing myself over Cassie's right shoulder, and it sort of worked. But Maddie is far more sensitive and I have been trying to work on my position so much recently, so I have struggled so much with something that really should be second nature. Anyway, I am completely rambling, but we had a fab session today and actually managed to run through a test from start to finish. Sometimes it's just the little things. Have a photo as a reward for getting through all that, if indeed you did!! ;)

273007633_10225313877686676_8045329071137199905_n.jpg

daffy44

Visit site
MP, I'm so sorry about Darcy, he was a lucky boy to have found you. Frankie looks extremely well, everything crossed that he continues to heal beautifully and you can start having some fun again soon x

southerncomfort

Visit site
Another heart-in-mouth weekend here. Frankie resumed turnout after being in the box since mid December. I can't fault his behaviour really, for an only-just 4yo after 8 weeks box rest, he has behaved impeccably. He was given a good dose of ACP and then dawdled out after Kira, there was not TOO much in the way of shenanigans, so gold stars all round.

Hoping the halo stays wedged on tomorrow as he will have neighbours in the next field then, eep.

Sad day yesterday as finally had Darcy pts, dear sweet horse had just come to the end of his time. I promised him that he wouldn't ever suffer so he went quietly, filled to the brim with carrots and smothered in cuddles.

Drunken trotting about

272928488_5197274563617345_7521383552908826036_n.jpg

So glad all was drama free. I'm so pleased that you have Frankie to play with now. He seems very level headed for his age. I'm looking forward to the ridden pics! ?

Sorry about Darcy. Never easy, but better to go before he deteriorated

Hope you're OK.

J_sarahd

Visit site
On paper, today looks rubbish but I am actually really, really happy with him. We were held up by over an hour because a girl fell off in the 65cm and they had to get an ambulance (I think she is okay!). The jumps were pretty big for their respective classes so I was very nervous but in the 70cm, he was just so honest. He hit everything on a perfect stride and was listening so well. Unfortunately, I took a tumble at fence 10. It was a big spread and I didn’t ride it properly - I should’ve pushed for a stride. Then in the next class, I didn’t ride into the first one but then he went round perfectly again. I rode into 10 better and he jumped it nicely. I set him up on a proper dodgy stride for 11, which meant we got 4 faults. And we finished 4th!

It has boosted my confidence because all of the problems were my fault and things I can easily learn from and fix.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Slightly underestimated how windy it was and nearly got blown away on our hack today ?

Luckily Pepsi is a good boy, and was completely unbothered, just ambled along on a loose rein. Being such a sensitive soul it would be easy to assume he’d be a slightly wired hack, but it’s the opposite. He’s brilliant, the most mannerly and bombproof hack I’ve ever owned!

7561D769-31E8-4E53-BF8B-9E123F78E66F.jpeg