First world dog ownership question.... name!!!!

{97702}

Visit site
So.... the new rescue greyhound is called Mars Approach, currently known as Marty.

I’m hot that keen on the name but lots of people have said they like it and it suits him - and lets face it, Hoover was a pretty unusual name for a dog....

So - do I change his name or not? And if you vote ‘change it’ what to? My imagination seems to be failing me as I get older 😄 - I always used to change their names, now I don’t seem to bother 😊

kimberleigh

Visit site
I always change names on adults, and especially if they dont really know their name and I dont like it! Being a greyhound its very unlikely he will have been taught that Marty is his name so should be very easy to change to something you like more.

Do you have a theme at all with your others or are they random?

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think you should change his name. My Mum, who always has rescues says 'It is the only thing the poor little beggars have as a constant in their life'. Mind you as a grey he may not recognise it anyway!

kimberleigh

Visit site
I don't think you should change his name. My Mum, who always has rescues says 'It is the only thing the poor little beggars have as a constant in their life'. Mind you as a grey he may not recognise it anyway!

Your mums reasoning is why I actually choose to change names of dogs that dont arrive as pups, so is interesting to hear someone who does the opposite!

I figure that a dog can have all sorts of negative connotations with a name, be it over use leading to ignorance or on a worse scale, association with being told off. "Rover no" "Rover stop that" "Rover leave it" "For gods sake Rover Im going to give you a crack if you dont come here" "Rover, Rover, ROVER!!!"

{97702}

Visit site
No real theme any more Kimberleigh - it used to be malt whisky (Macallan, Talisker, Jura, Port Ellen, Islay...) but then Flick and Amy stayed as Flick and Amy 😊

Millie got shortened from Amelia as it was easier to say, and mostly she gets Milliepops after the HHO name.... which then goes to Popple or Popsicle 😂

deb_l222

Visit site
I'm not sure about the name Lev but as you had a Hoover you could now have a Miele?:D xxx

Or Dyson?

Apologies if this has already been suggested, my brain is too tired to read through the entire thread tonight 💤

Must admit I’ve never changed a name, hence why I once had two Bonnie’s living under the same roof and I currently have a ‘Button’ which is a very ridiculous name to shout on a walk, especially as she’s now VERY deaf 😂

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Nooooooooooooo, they are evil :D................. i like the name tho!
Oops , must not divert thread
I like Art or Arty, could be short for Artemis which is cool

My mare is called Artemis - it's a Greek goddess 😂. She gets abbreviated to Arty, which my mother struggles with because she says Arty can only be an abbreviation of Arthur...

Keeping with the domestic appliance theme - toaster 😁 ??

{97702}

Visit site
I want to say benecol or something equally as ridiculous :p
Of course - the first brand I would associate with a beagle with a sharks fin on its head 😂

Ok - I’ve seen the advert - from the sublime to the ridiculous....😳😳😳