Fisrt aid for cats

tamsinkb

Visit site
I know this isn't horsey, but I'm in a bit of a fix!!! My cat has come in tonight with a puncture wound on the base of her tail which has problably been there a day or so, as it is a bit 'gooey' - I'll take her to the vet tomorrow, but do any of you know what i can use to clean it up and possibly stop her from licking it (other than one of those elizabethan collar things that I havn't got!)

Theresa_F

Visit site
Do not use tea tree oil - it is toxic to cats. A little salt water is best. If you can put a bandage on it or even a large plaster that would do, though often letting them lick it provided they don't have stitches is ok.

pottamus

Visit site
Some warm salt water and just try to squeeze plenty of it into the wound using cotton wool or a clean cloth. You won't stop them licking though but best to keep her in for the night.

ThomasTank

Visit site
I would say warm salt water. i thought letting the cats lick puncture wounds was good as it helped them to heal
confused.gif

jemima

Visit site
I'd use salt water to clean it - when you say gooey do you mean bloody /serum type stuff or pus? If you don't want her to lick it crush a clove of garlic and smear it on the wound. Garlic is a natural antiseptic as well as being unpalatable to (most) cats.

JustKickOn

Visit site
warm salt water. and hold on to your cat when doing this, and be prepared for claws!! take her to the vets asap though. hope shes okay!

michaeljarmuz

Visit site
Luke warm Salt water is best have simple vet experience and i just feel that without going to the vets until tommorow the best you can do is that and a bandage not a plaster
!!!