fitness and well being of the equine rider

Malibu

Visit site
Soooooooooooo...........................
I have struggled back from phnumonia plus been off riding for two months due to lame horse and not finding my new one for almost a year! So anyway i have got him and it all begins again, getting fit!

Now dont get me wrong im not a fatty, 5'5 and weight about 8.4/8.6 stone. But im not riding fit and my trainer says to me that becuase im young it will take at least 6 months for me to get my legs good anought and strong enough to ride Ru (very powerful boy)
tongue.gif

So how fit are you, any tips or advice, what exercise do you do?

i seem to do all the wrong ones liked long distance riding with thighs that cling to saddles! lol

Nic

Visit site
Lots of swimming & cycling to build up legs, but due to XC every other weekend I've got thighs like the hulk & biceps to rival popeye's
crazy.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Malibu

Visit site
cycling- yes i will have to start that up again! I used to go to the gym about 3 or 4 times last year but i hate the crowd and prefer to be outside or my rom or maybe a class would be good! any one tried pilates or yoga?

tigers_eye

Visit site
I found pilates very good for my dressage in that it strengthened my core stability muscles (tummy ones), but it won't build your legs up. Squats are good, you can do some every morning so it's not a hassle like going to a gym. Cycling up hills (no saddle an option!), plenty of trotting with your stirrups really really short on hacks standing in our jumping position - Mark Phillips says in his book you shouldn't event until you can do 40 mins trotting like that non-stop!

vic07

Visit site
i do a class called body balance which is really good - bits of yoga, pilates. Riding powerful horses is very hard work!

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Phillips says in his book you shouldn't event until you can do 40 mins trotting like that non-stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, MP can talk, when he got on my horse the poor thing practically buckled at the knee and once he'd found the energy to run off with him, Mark came back dripping
smirk.gif

Malibu

Visit site
LOL!

I just need to stenghten my whole body i think, i am going to try and do cylcing or running 2 or 3 times a week, i dont have time to swim as too far away although neighbour as swimming pool i think rather chilly for that this time of year! Also i will look in to a yoga/pilates class as i would love that, although i wont know anyone!
confused.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Take the saddle off your cycle & ride it. There's now way to take a break, you must keep on going.
Too many riders let their horses down by not being fit enough themselves, it's good that you are striving to get back to fitness. Good Luck

vic07

Visit site
I take my mum! Desperate measures! Seriously though she enjoys it and helps her back and old age problems. It also helps my pain management! It is quite good as if one of us can't be bothered, then there is someone to give the necessary kick up the bum!

pottamus

Visit site
Go out for some good walks up and down hills every week at a decent pace...on foot that it, rather than horse back!!! I do loads of walkng and it really strenghtened my legs up. so when I started doing endurance riding I was the only one that could walk the next day!!!
smile.gif

Cycling is good too as you need to do cardiovascular exercise (work a sweat up) 2 or 3 times a week to see real benefits. Also pilates/yoga are supposed to be good for suppling your body too.
Other than that I recommend...ride, ride, ride!