Fitness for a ode

Moon Dancer

Visit site
What kind of things would every one do to make sure there horse is fit enough for a ode?
My horse is relatively fit, he is coming back from a minor injury (muscle injury) he has been back in full work for five weeks. (He never had time off during the whole time he had an injury but he just did light hacking and lunging)
I am planning a ode on 7th june, which both vet and physio have said is fine, what exercises/regime would you implement to ensure the horse is fit enough? The ode is a 2ft3 to 2ft6, which my horse is perfectly capable of doing.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
I wouldn't say for an ODE of that height you need to worry too much about having a proper fitness programme. What I would recommend is just doing things like increasing the amount of trot you do out hacking especially up hills, and if you get a chance to canter on hacks then do that too. It also might be a good idea to take him XC schooling, and whilst your at the XC schooling venue you could go for a good canter around the field before jumping anything, to assess how fit you think he is. Also, regular lessons can provide them with fitness.

I got a pony fit for Pre Novice just doing things like this no problem, so I wouldn't worry about planning it too meticulously, just be sensible and have fun! :)

star

Visit site
I have evented to be100 by just doing normal schooling and hacking and jump lessons. Have only upped it for long format RC Champs and Badminton Grassroots as longer course.

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure i am doing the right thing with him. Unfortunately we dont have many hills around us so thats not going to be very easy.
though I am very lucky and our yard has its own xc course. Also our school is huge so can use that for cantering aswell.

wkiwi

Visit site
To reassure yourself, find out the length of the cross country course. Then canter the cross country distance (without jumps) at the speed you aim to jump at. Then, take his heart rate 20 minutes after pulling up and it should be back below 60 (and may be back to his resting heart rate). You definitely do not want it to be more than twice his resting heart rate after 20 minutes, as it would indicate some sort of problem (e.g. if resting heart rate was 36, then must be under 72 by the 20minute point).
Take the heart rate by placing a hand just behind/under his left elbow, or the pulse rate by gently placing your fingers over the facial artery running under the lower jaw bone (if you haven't done it before, then google for images to show the exact spots).
Note that these are just ball park figures, but you don't need to be too fussy for that height (as the others say, ordinary work should have him fit enough).

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Thank you. Will find out the length of the cross country course and do that.
Think i am just paranoid and dont want to be one of those people you see with their horse crawling over the finish line cos it isn't fit enough. Would rather go the other way and have him too fit.

PorkChop

Visit site
Another who thinks that your current routine is enough for his fitness - I usually do a faster hack, with some strong cantering four days before an event.

Just make sure that when you are hacking to make him work into his bridle, I have found interval training a good way to assess their fitness - good luck with the ODE :)

lauraandjack

Visit site
Fitter than many people think! I recently fence judged at a RC xc event, we were fence 11 of 17 on a very flat course, and the amount of horses that could barely keep a canter by the time they got to us was shocking! I would definitely make sure your horse is capable of 5 minutes forward cantering :)

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Yeah that was my worry. I have also fence judged at these events and have also seen those horses having to crawl around the course. I definitely do not want that to be me or my horse!