Fitness tips

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I really need to get the pony fit so thought I would see if you guys could give me any ideas
grin.gif

Basically he's getting probably an hour 6 days out of 7 ATM. If I hack it's for up to an hour, not less that 45 mins, with trotting if and when possible. Schooling is twice a week and for the first time ever he's really starting to work properly and consistently. If I school he gets about 30-40 mins with a 20 min hack after to cool down. Also have the farm to hack around; all fields with some XC jumps and we do most of the farm (about 40 mins) in trot with some canter. Trying to build up the canter work gradually.

The problem is that Ben&Jerry's came over to jump him today and, fair enough it was a v warm day, but he was really out of puff after 5 or 6 jumps. Nothing too taxing either, a little spread at about 2ft6 and an upright of 2ft9-3ft. I'm not doing a huge amount of jumping ATM but looks like I definitely need to get him fitter.

So.... my plan was to increase the amount of canter work he's doing and to build up the amount of jumping we do as well. He's fit enough for hacking and is fine schooling but it seems he's not fit for fast work. This time last year we were doing fun rides every other weekend so he was fit and ready to go but haven't done anything like that this year. I'm aiming to do some canter work round the fields most days followed by a hack out of say 30mins. Also planning to start gridwork probably twice a week and slowly increase the height of the jumps (just because he was doing 2ft9-3ft with B&Js doesn't mean that's what he does with me!)/

How does that sound? Any suggestions or advice?

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, well jumping fitness is very different to "normal" fitness, its like speed walkers attemping a 200m hurdling competition, a different type of fitness!!??

Increasing stamina work is prob best, so doing more canter work, and possibly interval training? Doing lots of pole work, and small amount of grids etc to encourage him to be more athletic, using jumping muscles more often may help?

I've found my boy was like your, but knackered after jumping cos it took more out of him, so just doing little and often helped develope correct muscles, and helped his stamina! good luck with it!!
smile.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks Kat, I was thinking along those lines as well. I was going to start doing smallish grids a couple of times a week to get him used to using himself again, lots of bounces etc.

What I was trying to get at originally was, as you said, that although he's pretty fit for his flatwork, his jumping/fast work fitness is quite low.

KatB

Visit site
I know its mad how different the levels are??!! Lots of canter work has helped me too, I think its because its helped develope his balance and forward thinkingnes, so jumping is less of a chore!! Prob not apply for your boy though as I think he's prob slightly more advanced than the Lanky one!!
smile.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Don't count on it! We have a lot of issues with canter as he's still quite unbalanced so tends to want to get quite long and strung out. Doing a lot of work ATM getting him off my leg and more responsive but it also means he's having to learn to canter properly - cue lots of breaking and refusing to canter!!
smirk.gif

Good thing I have the farm to ride round as at least I can do plenty of canter work.