Fitness training on straight gallops

Ahrena

Visit site
Alternatively if anyone knows any circular gallops near Newbury it would b amazing!

But otherwise, how would you use a uphill gallop, 4 1/2 furlongs to do fitness work?

I was taught to do long slow canters with walk intervals but obviously I can't do that here.

Horse is currently fit but needs to be kept fit and with zero cantering out hacking ect as ground = concrete, we need to visit some gallops! He is competing at Novice, aiming to do the CIC at Firle Place at the start of September.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hopefully someone will come along with some suggestions as I'm wondering the same thing :D

I'm heading out to my local gallops this afternoon but as mine hasn't done proper fast work for ages we will just be playing for a bit and enjoying some decent going.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
When I used to use a gallop to keep my wb fit he started off by hacking to the gallops, which was about 20 minutes up a long hill, followed by 2 steady canters up a 4 furlong hill (walking back down the gallop in between) and then hacking home. We also had to hack through a river on the way there/back which was great for cooling him down and very good for his legs. He was only doing unaffiliated competing at the time, and once he got used to it I would take him twice a week (no access to arena so hacking, gallops and a lesson once a week at my instructors yard had to do) and the second canter I would increase the speed until he was doing one steady canter to warm up, and one fast canter. In comparison the racehorses using the gallop were training to race over 2 to 3 miles (NH) and were doing 3 canters 4 days a week and 4 canters 2 days a week which would include fast gallop work the 3rd and 4th time up. Worth noting that even their 'steady canter' was much faster than my boy!!!

druid

Visit site
One steady (35km ish) after the hack to the gallops and then steady ordinary (40km uphill) or ordinary (48km uphill) depending on the day here!

Sprig

Visit site
In addition to the gallops why don't you think about taking the horse swimming. Great low impact exercise. I am sure you can hire a pool in Lambourn so not too far for you.