Fitness

SilGathien

Visit site
On Saturday, I can ride my beast again, yay!

Now, I have never had a horse off for a sufficient amount of time to require fitness training. Said beast has been off for almost 1 month and had not made a dramatic change, but obviously is fatter etc.

So, am going for the idea of 10 days walk, 10 days trot and 10 days canter before introducing any schooling as can obviously do some basic stuff on the road. Does this sound a decent amount of time?.. as obviously don't want to rush him.

Also, after how long would you progress from 30mins walking to other amounts? as the shortest ride round here is about 20-30mins depending on speed.

Finally, beast in question is 16hh TB (ex-racehorse), rising 7 (turns 7 in march) and of a mediumish build.

Thanks xx

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
With only being out for a month, he wouldnt have lost a lot of fitness from the stage he was at before. How fit was he before being turned away?
Persoanlly would start with short 30 min hacks(walk/trot/canter) for a couple of weeks then kick straight on.

luane1

Visit site
there is a sayin which says that the amount of time a horse has been out it takes half the time 2 get them fit again. however this is not always the case, your horse will let you know how much work he/she is willin to do, but set off slowly and gradually increasing as you go is the best way.

SilGathien

Visit site
He wasn't actually ridden alot up to the weeks that he was turned away because I didn't have the time with school and also the fact it was dark didn't help.

I'd classify him at around medium fitness, and he was being worked about 4 times a week, sometimes more I would expect.

His work will be upped quite a bit this year as really do need to get flatwork sorted, most of it is there.

Will obviously spend a good, maybe more if necessary, amount of time getting him up to where he was because don't want any thing to go wrong!

Thanks xx

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF was off for month and when I brought her back into work I only did a few days walk and trot before cantering. Was jumping (very low) in the second week
blush.gif

I don't think horses loose fitness the way we do and TBs recover what they've lost quicker than other breeds. PF told me!
smile.gif

Was your neddy injured? If so, you might need to be a bit more conservative.

vicijp

I wouldnt worry about bringing him on quickly too much.
I had a report on a study through the door the other day, they have found all this week for week crap to be complete bull. Apparently a horse loses no fitness at all in the first 2 weeks they are off, and only minimally for another few weeks.

SilGathien

Visit site
I can see where you coming from vicijp because like I said, he hasn't dramatically change, and I think that really is to be expected.

PF, nope he wasn't injured, just gave him a break as over this year he's done quite a lot of work and retraining considering what he used to do lol.

vicijp

So far have found:
'Reacting To Stimulus'
'Classic races are gaining a new role'
'lungeing and long reining can benefit horses of all ages'
'dermatological investigations'
'does artificial lighting benefit the conditioning of a horse?'
'bones of contention'
'product focus - oral joint supplements'
'trade zone'
Will keep looking...

spider

community.webshots.com
When my boy was off for three weeks I was going to take it really slowly. Then my instructor said "You'll be having your usual lesson on Monday then? (six days time) so I said would he be ok to canter and work hard for an hour by then and she said yes. And he seemed fine.