Fittening - hill work, only 1 hill!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I live in Lincolnshire - which does not have an abundance of hills! However, we do have one hill which is literally a few minutes up the road that is on one of my main hack routes. Just checked on google maps and its about 0.7 mile from top to bottom with a steady incline. Fairly decent wide verge and fine for trot/canter work. Its on a very rural road and very rarely used by traffic. I'm thinking on starting using it for a bit of fittening work, trot or canter up, walk back down a few times. Do any of you have to do similar with lack of hills? I usually hack round a circuit but this would mean literally just using the hill and going home! (Although sure neddy won't mind)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Sounds fine for interval training, start fittening at the trot and once he can easily go straight up twice at the trot, start cantering with 5 or six furlongs and then work up to three canters.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yup, also used to do the same with our one patch of grass about 1/3 of a mile long.
I love having moved to wiltshire and having hills now though!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I wouldn't bother!

Took the stallion to the local county show and got placed Third. The judge was obviouly very impressed with him so, after the show, I asked her what I needed to do for him to win. She said he needed more muscle in his hind quarters.

Spent the next few months running him up and down every hill for twenty miles. He looked great!

So off to the show we go. Different judge. This time Fifth with a comment from the judge that (quote) "He is not fat enough".

Duh! Never again! :(

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
No, not showing. Got a TB who's evented before but only really hacked over winter. Spent past couple of months since having him schooling and lungeing with Equi-ami to build him up (as well as still hacking) and he's looking good. Would now like to incorporate more fitness work and build back end some more. Have our jump saddle arriving with saddler next week after waiting weeks to be made from template. I'd like to get him out jumping again eventually once i'm back in the swing of it and more confident in that area after only having jumped 3 times in the past year and a half!

J&S

Visit site
As a variation: walk on well up the hill and (as long as ground suitable) trot down.