Fitting a 5 point breast plate....how tight?

Dusty85

Visit site
Hi all,

Does anybody have any advice about how tight/slack a 5 point breast plate should be?

I have one but sometimes i think its too loose as when we're cantering it jingles a little, but i dont want the straps over the shoulders to be too tight-therefore making it uncomfortable for him when reaching over XC fences.

I can probably get four fingers underneath the strap at the wither. (with my little finger resting on his mane, if you get me?! )

But i know the whole point of them is to stop the saddle slipping so i dont want it to be too loose and pointless!

Any ideas? such as a fists length of slack or etc.

Also in the tack room- apologies for the double post :D

ajf

Visit site
Sorry this isn't going to be the answer you want but totally depends on the horse!

Mine that has really big withers and shoulders had to have a 5 point made to measure as standard full size didn't fit (he's only 16.2hh withers and barely 16hh bum!). His looks pretty darn loose at times when he's stood still, but watching videos/photos etc when galloping/jumping it gets pretty tight.

As long as your saddle ain't disappearing of his bum, and it's staying pretty much where you want it, then it should be fine. :)

My pet hate is seeing a horse with a 5 point that's snuggly fit when it's stood still (I mean you wouldn't be able to fit you fist in anywhere!). How is this horse expected to want to jump and stretch when it's being restricted?!?

lucindakay

Visit site
hi mines a tad loose but when i'm out hacking and doing xco schooling i can tell it fits also when i look at videos mine looks fine especially when he decides to take a stride out and hes really stretching it doesn't press between the muscle at the front which is one of my pet hates, and it keeps my saddle from slipping as he keeps fluctuating in size so without it sometimes my saddle slips back so i am slightly reliant on it, hope that helps

SpruceRI

Visit site
Most people seem to have them on for show - as everything is done up so loose the breastplates flap about. Surely they've got to be done up relatively tight at the beginning as if your saddle slips back once you get going, it freely will with a loose breastplate?

Mike007

Visit site
Honestly?..I dont believe they do much except avoid that deadly full slip of the saddle which so often leads to the horse freaking out and hurting itself and anyone near it.Tight enough to stop a saddle slipping is probably too tight. But tight enough to stop a saddle slipping all the way might just save a life or two. I hate them anyway because I am terribly old school and in moments of crisis I am already subconciously slipping a finger under the neck strap. My complete panic is caused when there is no neckstrap cos there is a 5 point brestplate .:eek: