Fitting a myler bit

ann-jen

Visit site
Would anyone say it would be necessary to drop a size?
Dee is a 5.25" in a regular bit. I tried her in a myler comfort snaffle with full cheeks. They come in 5" and 5.5". It was the 5.5" I tried and it seemed ginormous! Loads of "spare" bit sticking out the sides. However a 5" sounds awfully small. I read somewhere that because of the way they sit in the horses mouth that this can affect the fit??? So just wondered if its best to go a size smaller with mylers? The 5.5" is def too big!

ann-jen

Visit site
Ah great. I might order a 5" from the bit bank with a trial period and see. Dee is 16.3hh but with a tiny fine head so it'll probably fit better. She seems to like the concept of the myler even though half of it was hanging out her mouth!

scewal

Visit site
Yes do go down one size! I have just bought a 5.5" and its too big for my mare who is a 5.5. Just ordered a 5" instead.

ann-jen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. She's currently in a 5.25" springer so its a case of either a size up or a size down for me. But there's so much "spare" bit hanging out in the 5.5" that the slight bend in the comfort mouthpiece is virtually out the side of her mouth so def too big!

SuperH

Visit site
I've just changed one of mine into that bit. She is also a 5.25 and has the 5" that fits perfectly. She is much happier in it than she ever has been with anything else so hopefully we have finally found a winner!