Fitting a saddle to the ultimate behemoth!

merry mischief

Visit site
Jim needs an xx wide saddle, looking for a cheapy second hand day to day saddle as he's still growing (gah!) so will probably have a nice one made when he settles into his shape. however I can't find anything as he also needs a 17" looked for thorowgood cob and Kent and masters but has anyone else got any ideas?

I've got 1/2 a selection box for the best idea! X

amandal

Visit site
Whats your budget? I have a saddle company cob saddle for sale. :) These are made for the wider pony and can be altered as the pony changes shape. The one I have is a black 17.5" cob version with 5 girth straps. Leather top serge underside. Although its a 17.5" they do come up small. Get in touch if you want photos .:)

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Saddle company saddle - I counter your XXW with an XXXW! Got mine a SCS and discovered she can actually walk out - her shoulders are free! Adjustable so when my big fat fatty puts on/ loses weight it can be adjusted to fit. Can generally pick them up second hand on ebay/ preloved etc

merry mischief

Visit site
The saddle company ones look fab! Would you recommend any particular one?
Amandal unfortunately yours will be too long as saddler said 16.5-17" as he's short backed, I want a 17 to accommodate my derrière however! X

Dexydoodle

Visit site
I've got a cob one and love it. Went for the full leather version (believe there is a slightly cheaper one that the flaps are backed onto synthetic rather than leather). Whereabouts are you? The fitter I used was brilliant and also said if you bought a 2nd hand one he'd check it all over etc and make sure there were no problems with it

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Ah my recommendations would be useless then - i'm in the SW!!!!!!!! I was recommended to go for the cob one as I believe the panels are slightly wider. The advantage to buying new is they're made to order so if you have long legs they can put longer flaps on (what I mean is say 17.5" flaps on a 17" saddle) etc. But second hand is defo much cheaper!